Parameters And Design Variatioms

fhunt

I'm having real trouble figuring out how to make the parameter tables and design variations work. I find the supplied information (in help) to be confusing and not adequate for me to understand. Has anyone ever put together a step-by-step tutorial I can use as a learning tool?

I've been working with a simple "2x4" model. That is an actually 1.5" x 3.5" rectangular cross section. I created a parameter called "length". I couldn't figure out what to do with it until I read the IronCAD tip in the support newsletter. After reading that, I realized that I had to go to the intellishape properties sheet, check "show formulas", and put "length" in for the "value" of the length. It took me a little while to discover that I had to type in "length" (with the quotes).

I created two design variations. One with "12" as the "design value" of "length" and one with "29" as the "design value" of "length". I expected switching between the design variations to change the "2x4" from a 12" long piece to a 29" long piece. So far, no luck. Hence, my request for a step-by-step tutorial. If I had an example (like the parameter table example in the support newsletter IronCAD tip), I might be able to figure out how to make design variations work.

Please help.

Thank you

Fred

Guest Wim ten Berge

Hi,

i can give you 1 tip:

be sure that the paramaters you want to use in the design varition are created at the part-level.

good luck

Wim

Here is a simple sample way to create a test.

Drop a block into a scene.

Edit the cross-section of the block feature and add one dimensional constraint to one edge of the cross-section and hit ok to exit the mode.

Click to the part level (cyan level) of the block and right-click on the part and select Parameters to open the table.

At this point you should not see any parameters at this level since we applied it to the feature level (unless you selected show all in the table).

Click the Add paramter in the table to add a parameter at the part level. Give it a name and a value.

Now select show all parameters.

Create an expression for the sktech level parameter that is equal to the value of the parameter you just created on the part and select ok.

Now create a design variation on the part level.

Edit the DV and you should see te part level parameter in the DV.

Set a value for the DV for the Design 1.

Create a Design 2 and set a different value (and color to denote the diff).

Now you can switch between the DV's and the parameter should update which updates the sketch parameter.

Hope that helps.

Cary

Here is a simple sample way to create a test.

Drop a block into a scene.

Edit the cross-section of the block feature and add one dimensional constraint to one edge of the cross-section and hit ok to exit the mode.

Click to the part level (cyan level) of the block and right-click on the part and select Parameters to open the table.

At this point you should not see any parameters at this level since we applied it to the feature level (unless you selected show all in the table).

Click the Add paramter in the table to add a parameter at the part level. Give it a name and a value.

Now select show all parameters.

Create an expression for the sktech level parameter that is equal to the value of the parameter you just created on the part and select ok.

Now create a design variation on the part level.

Edit the DV and you should see te part level parameter in the DV.

Set a value for the DV for the Design 1.

Create a Design 2 and set a different value (and color to denote the diff).

Now you can switch between the DV's and the parameter should update which updates the sketch parameter.

Hope that helps.

Cary

20050[/snapback]

Thanks Cary,

I was able to get my 2X4's to work by making the length one of the cross section dimensions. This is contrary to how it should work. Typically, you have a fixed cross section and extrude it to different lengths. It is the extrusion distance you want to parametrically control. How do I do that?

Using the cross section technique (you described) works for a simple rectangle. What if I have an "L" angle, "I" beam, a round rod, or a custom extrusion (of complex cross section) that I want to use in different lengths? I need to be able to define the extrusion length in the parameter table and base my design variations upon this extrusion length variable. Please tell me how to do that.

Thank you.

Fred

Right-click on the Extrude intellishape and enter the Parameter table. Create a parameter called any name with a desired length. Right -click again on the intellishape and go to the sizebox properties or extrude properties. Check the show formula and type in the parameter name you just create in the value field.

Now you can control the extrude distance.

Cary

• 4 weeks later...