New Render Speed Vs Quality

Guest John Wright

Guest John Wright

I got a little fed up with just trying any old settings for the rendering, so decided to make a small test, with logical progressions, to see what has an effect on rendering speed and rendering quality.

So I ended up with things running from minutes to lots of hours. If you are interested in seeing what the differences are I put the results together on a small web page - link below.

John

http://www.response-design.co.uk/render/render-test.htm

Guest John Wright

Cary,

You are right, however this can have other effects on the lighting scheme, backgrounds etc. I think one of the big issues right now is that the new renderer doesn't store any info if the advanced renderer uses an image which is a real pain, means that each time something is set - save the part, come out of IC, go back and its totally different - images don't work with catalogs either.

Tom

The big thing with chrome and other highly reflective parts - when you see them in real life you see yourself and the surrounding in them, sometimes you notice - sometimes you don't. Thats why I think the image Tom used as a reflectance worked well, as it had real things in the image. I once did some chrome bathroom objects (pre-TriSpectives) they looked great with the standard chrome reflectance map, however when I changed the reflectance map to include a stock photo of a person on a beach - the same parts looked amazing. Most of the HDRI images are antiseptic images - without any human interest, and this will affect the viewer. The two images added are, the same view of three balls (originally from something that Cary sent me - thanks Cary). I played around with the chrome to change the base colour, the ball on the left hand side is glass - with a couple of variations on the index of refraction. The chrome looks good, but it misses the 'human' touch. Unfortunately this cannot be added as a relfectance image under the reflectance tab - 1 because the new renderer seems to ignore the legacy settings, and 2 (which also may cause 1) setting an image under 'user Shader' doesn't have any impact.

Which leaves it that you either build a real world scenario or you find an HDRI image that has that special quality.

Chrome1 attched was done with a simple 'none' GI and now texture to the work surface (cos of the image issue), and the glass sphere with normal transparency settings, Chrome2 was done with Full Illumination, texture on the base and the index of refraction way down on the sphere. difference in time over 5 hours!

John

post-899-1198145956_thumb.jpg

post-899-1198145977_thumb.jpg