6.0 Crashing

dgustafson

I have been using my new 6.0 version of IronCAD for about two days and have noticed a huge increase in the number of times it has given me the abnormal runtime error and program termination errors. It seemed like version 5.2 was excellent with regards to crashing but now that I can use the plane features on the triball I could never go back. I have an older machine 400Mhz , Nvidia Riva TNT2, 786MB Ram. Any one else having trouble?

Not only have I beta-tested for one month, but I have also been using IC6.0 since it was available for download and I have not had one crash yet. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? What operating system are you running. It seems that IC loves Win NT, 2000 or XP, but can be a bit finicky with 98. My 98 computer would occasionally hang when shutting down after using IC 5.2. I have no such issues with Win XP and IC 6.0.

I am running windows XP, 1gig ram, 2.6 ghz, pentium 4 , radeon7500 ... lately I heard that my graphics card wasn't a very good one,, but in any case I don't know much about computers.

With versions 5.2 or 6.0 I seem to have about the same number of occurences where the visual basic screen pops up with some debugging error report... but I just simply ignore it and keep working ( maybe thats part of my problem!)

I can't remember the details, but on occasion with 5.2 if I am working creating features or whatever and Ironcad does shut down, I perform the same sequence of steps again and I have been able to make it shut down again!... Then I proceed making the part in a different order.

Not sure if my computer is the problem or what.

I have not had any total shut downs on 6.0 as of yet.

I will make a better effort from now on to report problems.

One thing I noticed is when I open a folder that contains the file I am working on, the computer frezes for a moment to load the preview of the part.

From what I can tell, i have 2 preview screens. One on the side bar of the windows explorer screen and the other in the Ironcad file open screen.... (windows XP)

After selecting the file, an error message comes up saying the file cant be found, but it opens the file anyway?!?

Not sure if thats just my computer or if its related to 6.0.

The files seem to work fine anyway, or until something else goofs up.

The error I am getting is a visual basic compile error.

This is the report.

Private Sub page_OnMButtonDblClick()

' Handle the event raised when the middle button is double clicked.

StandardViewsTool

End Sub

Seems to happen when I pan or rotate.

Maybe something to do with my mouse button settings, but I dont know how to interpret the error report.

I didn't have the standard view tool activated!!

I am using an IBM mouse. Still not sure where the problem is.

Is it the program?... Windows XP?... The mouse drivers?... Some re-occuring fluke with mouse button click combinations?...Standard view tool?

Guest svangeldern

mmccall,

The standard view tool is a seperate application that is invoked by IC. Sounds like the problem is with the tool and not IC itself.

Does this happen every time you try to use the standard view tool?

Steve

Possibly... I use the tool almost every time I use IC.

I use it to get the the view I want, then I turn it off..

Seems like in each case the tool was turned off before the error occurs, but thats hard to verify.

I will need to test it a few times.

Surely it will happen again!

Guest dlalonde

Cary commented on a problem with the middle mouse click macro a while back ...

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/index.php?showtopic=381

I quote him here...

The double-click middle mouse button to bring up the VBA camera command has been removed in the IronCAD 5.2 Scene Templates. We added the Camera Picker toolbar option (found in the Toolbars Menu) in IronCAD 5.0 to replace the VBA camera commands. Another reason the VBA command was removed is due to an occurrence of and error on XP operating systems with large files. If you want to have the option back, open old IronCAD 5.0 scene templates (blue.ics, grey.ics,etc. which can be found on the 5.0 CD). VBA commands are stored on a file or scene basis, so any VBA programs that were custom coded will still work when opening the templates/scenes that have the VBA programs stored. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Cary

mmccall you're experiencing that vba error because you're working on a file that was created in an older version of ironcad, that still has that macro in it. You can manually delete the macro from the scene file to clear this up. Goto Tools/Macro/VBAEditor. In the tree in the left expand the objects untill you see a "ThisDocument" page. Double click on the "ThisDocument" page to pull it up, then just delete all of the code in it. Save, go back to ironcad, it shoudl be gone. This vba/camera error only happens when you double middle mouse click by the way.

dgustafson

From what I've experienced on the tech support line, 6.0 just might be the most stable version we've released yet (it's still early so don't quote me on that yet). I am lead to believe that what you are experiencing is a system specific problem.

My first question is, did you uninstall 5.2? If not, that could be the problem.

Regardless of that question above, I recommend starting with a clean reinstall per my steps in this post http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/index.php?showtopic=258

If re-installing does not help them I would suspect the files to be the source of the problem. In that case we would need you to email the files to us (support@ironcad.com) or ftp (ftp://ftp.ironcad.com/upload) with some details on what you were doing with the file around the time you experienced the crash.

If at any time anyone crashes, please take the time to report it to us. Even just emailing the exception log to tech support could be beneficial. In most crash instances we will want to have the files that you were working on, and *some* idea of what you were doing at the time of crash, and what you had done to the file shortly before the crash.

The only way we can stabilize ironcad is to be aware of these crashes so that we can tweak our code to handle it. There is no way to write a crash "catch all"; we have to code for each specific crash possibility, and since we don't drive ironcad as much as you do there's a very good chance that there are bugs that only you can find. Sure we test as much as we possibly can, and we make every possible effort to insure stability, but you, the users, just manage to find combinations of files and commands that do things in ironcad that we haven't found yet.

So please, PLEASE, if you ever hit an "exception" error and it tells you about a log file being generated, please at least email the log file to support@ironcad.com and tell us it crashed (what version of ironcad would help).

• 2 weeks later...

IC just crashed on me, and I would like to e-mail the log file, but its over 7mb, and my e-mail server won't let me mail it.It was stuck in a loop, (and my finger got sore from clicking ok..lol) and I finally had to end it w/the ole 3 finger salute. How do I get the file to tech support