Does Winblows Really Work?

Guest EricFoy

Here's a picture of my task manager during rendering of a BIG picture. This machine seems always to have performed very poorly running IronCAD. I have installed 4GB of RAM. I think the fourth gigabyte is a waste, since Winblows seems to have no notion of its existence. Anyway, I have set the /3GB switch, and no matter what, the task manager NEVER reports that the machine is really using any RAM to speak of. This rendering is taking like 30 minutes! Way too slow in my experience. I think this machine just sort of bites, performance-wise, but I can't figure out how to light a fire under its butt. I've tried a dozen different pagefile settings, to no avail...

Suggestions, anyone?

HP Pavillion a1450n

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core CPU

4GB RAM

nVidia 7900GT

Windows XP Media edition SP2

-Eric

post-176-1189471983_thumb.jpg

All of your analysis is correct. 1) Your problem is XP Media Center... it being the Win98 of the newest releases: it won't benefit from the added memory because 2) the /3gb switch does nothing to this version of windows. You need XP (Pro).

You are basically driving a Ferari there, but is has an Fiat engine in it. Spring for the extra $200 and get your V12 back!

EDIT: Well, upon further research, it appears as if Microsoft is inconsistent in determining which OS's will accept (succesfully) the /3GB switch. Some of their pages imply XP Pro only (for the XP family anyway) and some say all versions of XP (whcih would include Media Center). Personally, I am still inclined to believe that it is XP Pro only....but I am no longer as sure.

Edited by Mike Twining