Linkages

Per-Arne Almeflo

• 2 weeks later...

So far I haven't run into any limitations per-say, but just depending on how complex the motion is it may take some time to get them all in , meaning how many individual animation commands will be needed for each section ( or degree or angle ) of motion.

I modeled a crank and rod assembly pretty easily, just took time since I had to think and calculate what the path of the crank end of the rod would take. (big end making a circle while rotating and moving linear...etc.)

Now I am modeling the path for a rotary engine... thats entirely different!

I'm not talking about animation here, but how to get an arm to move a pushrod which moves another arm in real time. When I change one smart dimension all the linkage should move according to the constraints. This is to design the right ratio so I get the movement I want. I don't want to make calculations on a paper. In 2D I could draw it graphically with off setted circles and lines, and now I want to do it with solids in the 3D world.

Has not anyone explored the limits around this in Ironcad?

Guest IronKevin

You can create some simple linkages with the Mate/Align Constraint Tool and "Locked" SmartDimensions. However, there are limitations to 2-3 levels of constraints between parts.

IronKevin

Guest Frank Calderazzo

The attached file is a simple crank/slider assembly which is animated but will also work by turning the crank with the triball. The scene browser shows the constraints which were used. No calculations were needed.

crank.ics

Thanks for the example file.

There seem to be very much of one way streets with these constraints. The crank can move the slider, but the slider cannot move the crank.

Also the second hole in the link is not controlled by the slider pin, but by a smart dimension that keeps a constant height over the base guide. Isn't it possible to get the second hole of the link follow the slider pin?

Or is this type of feedback info prohibited?

It seems necessary to allow feedback info, for a pneumatic cylinder to tilt when the piston rod turns a link, or do you have any workaround tips for this?

Guest Urban Olars

IronCAD is very limited right now if you want to build linkages with pneumatic cylinders etc. involved. I hope this will be improved in the future however. I the meantime I suggest you export your model to an external simulation software like MSC Visual Nastran Motion or similar.

I was hoping IronKevin could tell us improvements are on it's way, as he did so meritoriously once before!

Anyway, going to full motion simulation software seems to be massive overkill. I guess such a software would cost more than the full IronCad, and I just want to see how things move between end stops of the cylinder, not simulate forces or strain.

Also, IronCad documentation lacks all information about linkages and mechanisms. A tutorial would be appreciated, even more so when the mechanism possibilities are extended.

Thanks for the tip, this is useful when trying out the stroke length of a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder.

It is a pity that the constraints are so limited in IronCad so far.

On the URL: http://www.d-cubed.co.uk/customers.htm it is presented that most of the 3D CAD companies including IronCad are using the D-CUBED modules for constraint handling.

Why is it then that those other CAD software packages have more possibilities and stability with their constraints?

And, look at those other modules they offer at D-CUBED, anyone besides me that's interested in such possibilities?

IronDudes,

What's the deal with IC constraints and simulation? According to the D-CUBED web site, it takes 1 programmer about 2 - 3 months to integrate their constraint system (2D/3D DCM) into an existing CAD system. It seems a natural next step, and a natural extension to the existing animation, to add mechanical simulation to IronCAD. If IronCAD is using the D-CUBED 2D/3D DCM, the existing IC constraint system should be much better than it currently is.

Sincerely,

Andrew Owens

quote:
Originally posted by Per-Arne Almeflo:

Why is it then that those other CAD software packages have more possibilities and stability with their constraints?

id=quote>
id=quote>

Look again at http://www.d-cubed.co.uk/customers.htm. IronCAD is listed as a customer for the 2D module only. That should answer your question.

Beat

wow, i would like the Profile Geometry Manager and the Assembly Engineering Managerof D-cube implemented in Ironcad!

When will this happen Chris?

Wim

As with all enhancement requests, we have to weigh the importance and difficulty of each new item that we add against the list of (literally) thousands of other things that we intend to add.

There are TONS of things like the other D-Cubed stuff that we plan on adding to our products and they will all eventually make it in. We just have to take them one at a time.

Guest Urban Olars

quote:Originally posted by Chris Lohman:

......... We just have to take them one at a time.

id=quote>
id=quote>

Hire more developers!