Making scale models in stereolithography

Guest mrehnelt

Guest mrehnelt

We want to look into small scale models of our equipment to give to our best customers as Christmas gifts. Has anyone had experience doing this with stereolithography? Is there a better rapid proto method out there? I may want to personalize each model with raised lettering specific to the customer. If I use the text feature within IC, the model and text cannot be booleaned into a single part for .STL export. I tried creating an extrude plane then projecting the text onto it but no go. Thanks in advance.

-Mike Rehnelt

If you convert the 3d text to a solid, you can then boolean it into the part.

I have hit an error with that text boolean where it says the operation is too complex. I have found this to be a problem with the Parasolid kernel and have proven that switching your text and destination part to Acis before the boolean will prove to be successful in this instance.

No answers for your stl question though, sorry. smile.gif

FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling) parts are generally better than STL with respect to mechanical stability. However, the resolution of FDM is usually lower than that of STL (let alone microSTL).

Beat

We were thinking about the same thing. Z-Corp. makes equipment that produces colored stereolithography parts. I was planning to research which companies have this equipment and then ask then to quote some miniature parts. Generally, the better the finish, the higher the cost, so I recommend that you know exactly what you're getting before you order.

Good luck.

Dave

Guest Scott Wallis

Mike,

I have stereolithography models made from time to time. IC outputs good .stl files when you get the settings right. (Max edge length, triangular facets) but I have also found that my service bureau would just as well have a step or iges file and handle the settings themselves and they do a good job.

It is expensive and is usually only practical (in my case) as a prototype part or as a pattern to make a silicone mold for reproduction. I commonly make silicone molds and cast the parts in urethane resins, which can be pigmented or painted. Some STL service bureas can do the mold making and casting also. I know that ATI does.

As far as the text, switching kernels does fix the problem, but putting the text in the model would eliminate the casting option since they would all be the same. You may want to consider engraving them after casting, if you go that route.

The cost of an stl part is determined by volume and size, but mostly by height. I have been much happier with SLA parts than FDM do to surface finish.

Scott Wallis

Oh yeah, dlalonde just reminded me of this, your 3d text needs to be in the acis kernel to convert to solid properly

IronKevin used the free 3d print offer from Z Corp, here http://www.zcorp.com/ . Click on Get a Free Z Print

Anyways, it was a good way to get "one" model for free :-) Now we're trying to figure out how to get Z Corp to "partner" with us so that they'll give us a free printer. Warning, if you use their free offer, they will hound you for months to purchase their printer.

If youe heart is set on Stereolithograpghy we can grow quite cost effectlively depending on your quantities. WE use various SOMOS materials that are durable and have a substantial shelflife.

I reccomend making your object as small as possible without giving up integrity to it. Typically we have done this in past years and an item the size of a keychain or slightly larger is a good size to use as a general rule of thumb.

This allows us to "grow" more items in one process therefore reducing costs.

If you wish us to quote, just send the stl file and we'll look at for you.

Good Luck

Tom@magnacad.com