Importing "3d" Autocad Dwgs?

tlehnhaeuser

I am trying to import a supplied AutoCAD dwg file that is "3D" and what I mean is the supplier has drawn 2D geometry but offset it into the third axis to basically make a 3D "wireframe" of 2D geometry. And to top it off it has multiple model and paper space views to confuse the issue more.

Does anyone know how this data can be imported into the 3D Scene? I asked them for a IGS wireframe file but not sure it that is an option or not from AutoCAD.

I have tried the usual import into 2D shape, but it "flattens" the geometry to one plane. Since its a .dwg file it cannot be imported thru standard import function.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Any help is appreciated.

17768[/snapback]

Tom,

if you like you could send me the file. I could at least give it a try using either FormZ or Concepts Unlimited, which both read 3D DWG/DXF... if it's not newer than version 2004. Newer versions need additional conversion, which quite often fails. Thanks to AutoDesk for constantly maximizing incompatibility ;-)

Bernd

Thanks All,

I opened with Rhino and exported as stp file. Stp worked better than Igs. However, this autocad file is funny since we need it to pick up 3D points ( XYZ coordinates ) off it.

So what we need now to do is "extrude each point ( which is s 2D shape in the stp file) to create a 3D part to get its XYZ coordinates.

Seing if we can get point cloud from the AutoCAD guy, but since its not really points he created not sure how that will work.

Thanks

Tom

I opened with Rhino and exported as stp file. Stp worked better than Igs. However, this autocad file is funny since we need it to pick up 3D points ( XYZ coordinates ) off it.

17778[/snapback]

I can't believe that there isn't a better way of doing it... do you have 'true' 3D content in Rhino?

Bernd

I can't believe that there isn't a better way of doing it... do you have 'true' 3D content in Rhino?

Bernd

17791[/snapback]

Its fine in Rhino, however not sure how to get xyz point on points in Rhino. If anyone knows, that may help.

thanks Bernd

Tom

however not sure how to get xyz point on points in Rhino

17792[/snapback]

Well, maybe it's a language issue, but... I don't understand the question above ;-)

I don't have Rhino, so I can't help with this. All I can offer is checking the original DWG in one of my (3D DWG capable) applications, just to get an idea of what's in it... and what's possible to get out.

Bernd

Its fine in Rhino, however not sure how to get xyz point on points in Rhino. If anyone knows, that may help.

thanks Bernd

Tom

17792[/snapback]

The command for getting point coordinates in Rhino is "EvaluatePt".

This will give you both world coordinates and coordinates in current CPlane.

Regards

Mats

• 2 months later...

Dear Tom:

if I understood, only exporting to rhino help you, maye you can create faces in autocad and save in dxf format, next IronCAD can import it. When we want to get a 3D dwg only achieve when the file is a solid, I always export in ACIS (*.sat) into Autocad, next I can import in IC and have whatever that I want. when there will have a great solution, please tell me.

Best regards. smile.gif

Edited by aarcela