Model Accuracy

Steve Cole

Can anyone tell me to what level of accuracy (number of decimal places) Ironcad works to and is there any way to adjust it? In the Tools>Options menu under the General tab I see you can adjust two parameters,

Precision displayed in dialogs

Dimension precision.

Do either of thes affect the actual precision of the model or are they basically display functions?

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info. This leads me to my next question. Ironcad defaults to 4 places, for the purposes of data exchange, to Gibbs Cam for example, what level of accuracy do you suggest working to? I work with a lot of lofts blends and near organic shapes does this make a differance. Also what are the consequences of working to higher accuracies? Longer processing time, confusing numerical data (smart dims) on the screen?

Guest IronKevin

IronCAD stores and exports all data at .000001 mm accuracy (regardless of the units you work in)

Even if you model a feature 1.00 mm long, the file still stores 1.000000 mm so I would just recommend setting the Dimension precision to a value that makes since to your work. Exporting a STEP, ACIS or Parasolid file for Gibbs will provide very accurate parts.

IronKevin

Thanks Chris and Kevin for your responses.

Sorry but I'm still a bit confused. According to Chris it appears that changing the "Dimension Precision" perameter does affect the model accuracy. And according to Kevin the underlying mathematical accuracy of .000001 mm is constant regardless of the "Dimension Precision".

Could you clarify.

The bottom line is that i would like to know the accuracy my exported model (ACIS or Parasolids) in inches. How many decimal places?

Thanks,

Steve Cole

Guest dlalonde

They're both correct, sort-of. Internal precision is super-high, BUT...

Try this test.

1. go to tools options general tab and set 'precision displayed in dialogs' to 2 and dimension precision to 12

2. drag in a block and make it a 1 x 1 x 1 cube by right clicking the handles and editing the values. make IC display sizebox dimensions or dimension the part.

3. change the size by eyeball dragging one of the handles. note the changed dimension, lots of little tiny decimal numbers!

4. right click the handle that you just dragged and look at the edit sizebox dialog. Round-off !

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=209

As you can see (or not see) you can hide small amounts of round-off from yourself. If it matters, then set dialog displayed precision and dimension displayed precision at least a decimal place higher than you need and be aware when using arithmetic in the dialog boxes.

Dave

post-3381-207-7064.jpg_thumb

If, at some point, you want to reveal the non-rounded number you can just copy the rounded value and paste it back into the same place (ctrl-c-v) and it will appear at full precision.

Cheers,

Beat