Proworks... Solid-e

mmccall

ProWorks... Solid-E

HA... Wildfire 3... looks more like Solid Works everyday... not sure what makes PTC claim it is faster or even an improvement over WF2... they actually made claims of new features in WF3 that were already in WF2... still bugs.. more clicks in most cases....

For some reason.. in several cases, you have to click things twice to get it to accept the command..

The only cool thing.. is the interference detection... say for instance you have an assembly.. something that can move.. you can drag the component around some pivot point (if it has one.. or slider.. whatever).. and the interference points will show.. more area or less depending on the range of motion...

Still slower to set up than IC.. heck you can do it with triball.. in WF you have to go through and set up all constraints...

Haven't seen what new things they may have done with their WF tri-sphere just yet.. its only available in the special surfacing functions deep.. deep.. deep in the menus..

WF is still inconsistent in any particular direction.. really becoming a mass of different Pro-E versions along with Solid Works... Drawings looks like one thing.. modeling looks like another.. surfacing another.. sheetmetal yet another..

Edited by mmccall

Interesting....

By the way...IronCAD will have Collision Detection in the Mechanism Mode for V10. It works very similar to Solidworks integration. The only thing I do not like about the collision detection is that is can only highlight faces of the interference. It does not do a true boolean to give the interference area due to performance. Plus you can't do a boolean at a collision of say a vertex and a face.

Cary

Isn't there a detection for interference for IC that will make the interference solids so you can boolean them later?

I thought Kevin either sent me an addon.. or showed me where to get an addon that would do that... cant seem to find it.. think it was in some hidden files you could activate some DLL somewhere..

I am working a big project.. so I am still stuck on v8 ... get a little nervous about changing versions in a middle of a file.. so not sure if this option is in v9.

IronCAD has interference detection already under Tools - Check Interference. Collision Detection in Mechanism mode will stop the mechanism when a collision is detected. It will highlight the collision faces. However, it will not highlight the precise point or the exact area of collision. To get the exact area is where the boolean is needed. I guess you could just run the mechanism mode to collision. Then let it penetrate a little and run the interference check to get the precise area.

Cary

It would be useful in some cases to:

-tell IC to run the mechanism and say that one of two selected parts should remove any geometry it will pass trough. So if two parts will collide during mechanism motion, all intersection volume that the killer part are passing trough, are gone permanently on the looser part.

Like a milling machine in real life.

Kind of "make room!" feature...

Edited by Robert Andersson

Guest John Wright

Robert

Taking it one step further - take a component and move it along a vector and cut the silhouette profile - in one operation rather than creating all the silhouette curves and then extruding them - casting clipping tools come to mind

John

Isn't there a detection for interference for IC that will make the interference solids so you can boolean them later?

I thought Kevin either sent me an addon.. or showed me where to get an addon that would do that... cant seem to find it.. think it was in some hidden files you could activate some DLL somewhere..

I am working a big project.. so I am still stuck on v8 ... get a little nervous about changing versions in a middle of a file.. so not sure if this option is in v9.

17267[/snapback]

Max, how I do this is create copies of the colliding parts and then use the spilt tool to create the "intersecting volume" then I can edit that with necessary clearances. then use it to remove as a boolean from affected part(s).

Robert and John,

The issue with your suggestions is that it requires a full boolean. It is not fast! It is not ideal for a dynamic mechanism mode. Good idea but it would be slow. You could do it at a facet level but it would not be accurate. Maybe there are better ways, but it would take some investigation time.

Cary

Guest John Wright

Cary

Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate this would take some power, but would be quicker than creaing all the silhouette curves.

Tom, Clipping tools generally don't have clearance - in fact in some instances they have negative clearance so that a certain amount of tool life can be built in.

BTW Cary, I have sent by email an example of this type of part.

John