Angled Holes

David Thomas

Ok, chuck a block in and add a hole to it , no problem , insert a view of this into a drawing and your looking at the block with a circle in the middle. Then angle the hole within the block back within the scene and the view in the drawing can be upadated such that we are now looking at the profile of the block and an ellipse. No Problem !

Dimensioning it up is fairly simple as the user has the option to pick different parts of the ellipse , either giving the true diameter of the hole through the block or the major arc diameter of the ellipse.

The problem that I have is you do not seem to have this pickability when using the Hole table feature. You are only able to pick the ellipse and it seems always to revert to the Major Diameter of the ellipse, not the true hole diameter.

Is their a way around this , I did think of adding a note containing the real diameter for each of the holes and only displaying this, but will be extremely time consuming.

Guest John Wright

Hi Dave

Just to confirm, you are twisting the hole so that it is moving in a compound sense - therefore the elipse does not present a true major and minor axis?

Could always put a dimension on in the scene and check the transfer to drawing box?

John

Hi John,

errr , not quite with you there. All I'm doing in the scene is rotating the hole cylinder about one axis, i.e say the Z axis is down through the page then I rotate about the X axis.

It would be really good to use the hole table as I have about 2000 holes in one plate, although we can use a pattern facility on the CNC machine and hence I only dimension the first line of holes , the automatic nature of the hole table really helps.

Nick