Screw/Hole

Rick Dorrington

It would be nice to be able to specify the included angle of a tapered type screw (82, 90 etc).

Also would be nice to be able to place a washer under the screw at the same time as the screw is dropped in, like you can with a bolt. ( In the case of a screw with a flat bearing surface.)

Now, does anyone know an easy way to drop a screw with an 82 degree taper ( or otherwise) into a matching countersunk hole so that the screw stops when it seats in the hole?

Most times the countersink is sized such that the screw sits below the top surface of the workpiece, and in some instances we have to control the depth of the screw head. Also, the hole size is usually larger than the major diameter of the screw to allow for fit clearance.

Rick,

My suggestion would be to take some time and create some screw & fastener catalogs with all the screws & fasteners in the configurations that you commonly use... and just drag and drop... the screw tool is too slow and in some instances isn't exactly to spec...

Plus if you take your time at creating the parts for catalogs, you could have all your information filled out for you bill of materials.

Invest some time now, save time later... That is if you have the time...

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

Joel,

You could do that. Let's have everyone in the world create their own custom catologues of screws and washers.

Or, you could take advantage of the power of the software to standardize the fastener tool so that everyone is on the same page. One of the things we considered when purchasing IronCad was the ease of creating fasteners.

I don't mean to shoot you in the head here because you are correct. We can b!tch about this until we're blue and it probably won't get fixed anytime soon. It shows well at demo time. You obviously work in the real world where things have to get done quickly and the only way to do it is to create your own cataloques. This would certainly be low on my list of priorities, ( We have MUCH larger issues with our CAM) it's just that it would be nice to be able to use the fastener tool and have it accurately represent what it is that we want. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

I've always found the fastener tool to be way too slow... you got to pull down these menus... make selections, make sure that they are correct... So that's why I use the catologs... It saves alot of time.. just drag and drop from the catalog...

I've found that many of the fasteners and nuts are not standard sizes. So I've had to make my own, and when I do I dump them in a catalog for future use. One for instance is the 1/2" threads on any of the screws or holes, defaults to 1/2-12... which if you aren't conscious of it will really throw the machine shop for a loop...

So if IC would please release where these settings are or open up that part of the code to where one of us can change these default sizes to reflect actual standard sizes. So we can share those with other users... Or if they could go thru and make sure that everything reflects standard sizes, give more screw size options, and distribute that. I know of atleast 2 users that would greatly appreciate it...

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

Recently when I had to create some BA (British) fasteners I became aware of the serious shortcomings of the Fastener Tool. Like the others I also created my own fasteners and catalogued them - a perfectly reasonable technique for any commonly used hardware. But this does not address fixing the underlying problems of the Fastner Tool.

IronCAD needs to work on this.

Geoffrey