Ironcad For Linux?

bstow

Linux is a fantastic networked operating system, with features far superior to what MS has to offer.

Most FEA companys, like Ansys, and Algor (which has an IronCAD interface), have linux versions of their software.

Linux comes with all sorts of compilers (for free) to write any sort of IC add on/in you want.

If you can figure out how to work linux, IronCAD is cake.

Linux is on its way to the mainstream...can you immagine the sales guys drooling over "IronCAD is the only mid-range (price wise) CAD package available for your linux computers".

...the power is in the options.

Guest IronKevin

I would imagine if we had a certain X number or pre-orders for a Linux version at Y dollar amount, amazing things would happen.

Mike, maybe you could start a web site to rally the Linux masses, maybe www.ironcadforlinux.org. But I should warn you, I've heard more cries for IronCAD on Mac by far.

IK

For clarification.

My reason for the question is I would like to use Linux to replace the MS 2003 servers I have that running terminal services on. Our situation is we have centrally located files that need to be accessed by remote locations across T-1 lines. The time it takes to open assembly files across the WAN can be 40-90 minutes easy. To eliminate that wasted time I have set up servers running Ironcad that the users access remotely. The same files now open in 5 minutes or less. However, the overhead and cost to support the MS servers in a Novell network environment is prohibitive not to mention the video refresh lag (minimal but noticeable) a terminal service window has when rotating graphics. I envision using X services on a clustered Linux server setup to solve or at least improve my issues.

IC is THE reason why we have never seriously considered moving to Linux in my company. Now if IronCAD for Linux became available, we would seriously reconsider the option. But I would expect to be able to cross-grade for free or for a small fee. Having to buy new licenses would probably not be an option. My guess is that many IC users would think along the same lines. So the money would come from new users which are unlikely to buy the product before it exists. Still, IC would probably be able to increase its marketshare significantly, if a Linux version existed. But the first move would have to come from IronCAD LLC.

just my $0.02

Beat

Guest IronKevin

Beat,

I can honestly tell you that in the last 5 years I have heard less then 50 people ask about a Linux version. Now I admit that some interested people don't ask but even triple those numbers don't support the cost of R&D, documentation, training, systems, etc. I suspect that is why SolidWorks (even with their rich French parent) have not attempted a Linux version.

IK

Guest IronKevin

Mike,

I know you'd be up for 6 copies but like Beat said, current users (on Support) would deserve a free conversion so the 50 I referred to were not customers.

The pre-order idea would apply to new customers (like the PS3 pre-order list I'll be on soon tongue.gif ).

I could probably query our database for current users wanting Linux and your company might be the largest seat count. Another customer has over 100 seats they'd like to run on Macs.

Personally, I'd be happy to support any new platforms, so from a technical point of view, I'm very supportive of the idea.

IK

Guest IronKevin
I would be glad if you at least could support standard Windows XP (not only profesional).

Then I could make it work even at home.

And I think I'm not alone having only standard XP at home.

/ Marcus

15551[/snapback]

Marcus,

IronCAD, and our closest competitors, do not support Windows XP Home Edition, there are many technical reasons for this.

IK