V9 Slower?

Guest jkim522093

Some designers here also feel that V9 is slower than V8, and they say it is a little

"sticky" when manipulate the large assembly scene.

Of course, they returned to OpenGL in rendering option.

JH

Guest IronKevin

After exhaustive comparisons between v8 and v9 using the same files and computer, I'm failing to see a performance difference.

Please send me the details of your findings and any files you used to compare v8 versus v9. I would like to be able to accurately quantify any performance differences.

Thank you for your assistance,

IK

Guest jkim522093

With the attached simple file, created in version 8.0(might be earlier), when we

rotate it in V9.0, then we feel it is a little sticky.

(I'm not so sure if the word "sticky" is good to explain what we feel, but when we

click the mouse to rotate the scene, then the responses are slower than V8.0, and

we feel heavier in V9.0.)

And if we make three or four copies in the scene, then we feel much slower

responses in V9 when rotate/pan/zoom the scene.

IC_V6_Demo_306.ics

Guest IronKevin

Mike, how does the IC_V6_Demo_306.ics file perform on your machine?

And if you wouldn't mind letting us know your graphics card spec.

thanks,

Kevin

That model screams on my machine, but most models do. I've got myself:

2x Dual Core 3 Ghz Xeon Processors (64 bit)

32 Bit Windows XP

2Gb Ram (with the /3GB swithch)

Nvidia Quadro FX 550 Video Card (running 2 displays)

You gotta have quite a few more parts before this machine starts to choke on anything...

Guest Urban Olars

I enabled the nView Desktop Manager today and noticed some strange effects after that. As soon as the mouse cursor was over an IronCAD 3D scene window, it felt like dragging the cursor around in syrup or something. Very slow. Rather difficult to select shapes too. Outside of these windows, the cursor was like normal again.

After disabling the nView Desktop manager the behavior went back to normal again.

I found that same problem back with IC6 or 7 (whenever we first got the nVidia cards on our systems.) Have not used the nView Desktop Manager since.

I haven't noticed any speed-related issues with IronCAD 9. As far as I can tell, it performs all operations at the same speed as in IronCAD 8. I normally work on extremely large models (on a scale of about 900 square feet or bigger), with a moderate level of detail (we don't show fasteners, or any internal detail for most parts - but we have a lot of curved surfaces, so there are lots of facets.)

Guest IronKevin

One other note regarding the Scene Browser, just like using Windows Explorer in a folder containing hundreds of files you are going to see a drop in performance the more parts and assemblies that are expanded. So, it is a good practice to collapse items you are currently working with to keep the displayed list under 200 or so.

IK

Here is the structure list of a large assembly that contains 3184 parts and performs well in IC9 (without nView smile.gif). But with all parts expanded in the Scene Browser the selection in the Scene Browser slowed.

I can't upload this customer file but it's a 50mb single Scene file.

Assembly.txt