Monitor For Pesenting Animations

tlehnhaeuser

We have a client looking to add a monitor to the conference room for presentations. They are looking to preserve the best quality of IronCAD animations.

Using a LCD projector dimishes quality of animation.

2 Questions:

1. Will this monitor provide the best possible scenerio to present a IronCAD aniamtion to a large audience? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...04&sku=320-4335

2. What would be the best possible EXPORT settings to create the best quality animation to work with above monitor.

If anyone has a better solution, I am all ears. Thank you.

Tom

BTW, I tried to fins the post on this but couldn;t find with search tool.

Maybe you should try to export as a Quick Time Move(not from IronCAD). So whatever program you are using to compile the images, save the movie as quicktime .mov format. It is usually better quality.

14992[/snapback]

Cary,

using QuickTime alone doesn't make the difference. QuickTime is (like AVI) just a container format, offering a large range of codecs to be used. The qualitiy depends on several factors:

1. Quality of the original rendering (anti-aliasing, shading etc.).

2. Size of the resulting movie (in pixels). While most computers can play movies at smaller sizes without problems, it *could* be a problem playing sizes larger than NTSC/PAL (640/480 or 720/576). Depends on the codec used and the power of the playback machine.

3. The codec is the most important factor. While old codecs (like Cinepak) give small movie file sizes, the image quality is _bad_. Using the "animation" codec of quicktime gives a lossless compression and thus best quality, but will most likely lead to a jerky playback, because of extremely high data rates. Best choice would be modern codecs like Sorenson3, MPEG4 or H.264, which all give a high quality at low data rates.

Given all that, I don't think a monitor would be the limiting factor for animation playback. Also an LCD should work (ignoring the viewing angle aspects here). I do a lot of animations (using a dedicated animation application) which look great on my Apple 23" display.

Bernd

Guest John Wright

Robert

I have stopped using the the avi format as it is poor. Instead I export a series of images and compile them according to the end requirements. My current favourite (don't ask me why) is to put the images into Flash. It seems to work well and also is fairly portable - and I can play with it easily afterwards.

Attached is a couple of quick sample things I did a while ago.

John

v9_3.swf

I have stopped using the the avi format as it is poor. Instead I export a series of images and compile them according to the end requirements.

15041[/snapback]

John,

the AVI format itself isn't one... like QuickTime it's a container, and it's the codec used making the movie looking poor. I've used uncompressed AVIs as a source for encoding to WMV, without any problems. The only drawback is the file size of uncompressed formats (much more than DV). You'll definitely need some GBytes of spare HD space.

OTOH, using image series is also a very professional method for creating movies. It's even better if you need to re-render just some parts of an animation.

BTW, for creating good looking movies, the frame rate should be set to "Video" (24-30 fps) according to the IronCad GSG. For PAL playback, this would be 25 fps. Lower frame rates as typically used for computer playback look bad, too.

Bernd

Depends if you want free or cost. Low cost would be like Animation Shop (part of Paintshop Pro). I have used Adobe After Effect for movies which is easy to learn yet very powerful and has many codec's (similar to Flash but easier). Adobe Premiere is a step up from that. You can download a 30-day trial from Adobe.

Cary