error-message 5.2

Guest Wim

I have noticed abnormally long waits(3-5 seconds) when switching windows from a scene to a drawing with 5.2. I haven't got an error message though. All the files I was working with were originally created in 5.0.

I created some parts from scratch in 5.2 and made drawings and I didn't noticed any delays when switching back and forth.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some more info on the slowness experienced when switching windows in 5.2. It is a problem with IronCAD not clearing out the RAM after closing a file. Here are the details.

This morning I had a very large scene and drawing open. When the two files were my computer was using 850 MB of RAM. Working in these files was slow, but I expected this as they have lots of parts. When I was done working with these files I closed them both, leaving IronCAD open with no open files. Then I opened up a simple part and started to make a drawing. Switching windows back and forth between the scene and the drawing was very slowing (around 8 seconds). Then I checked the ram and it still said over 800 MB. So I closed IronCAD completely and then restarted IronCAD and continued to work on the same drawing with no problems.

I never had this problem with previous versions. It's new in 5.2.

This is not new to 5.2. I've also seen this behavior in 5.0 and I think in 4.2 also (I've only worked for a short time with that version). It's really worth restarting IC from time to time to keep the performance up. Annoying, for sure, but a phenomenon quite common to software of such complexity (which shouldn't be taken as an excuse not to fix it).

Beat

I have found several times that when exiting IronCad, it vanishes from the application list (under W2k) but there is still an IronCad process running, consuming memory and CPU time. I haven't been able to figure out exactly under which circumstances it happens though. (in the taskmanager - so stopping the process there clears memory and lowers CPU load)

Jaap

Jaap the process is still running while IronCAD dumps ram. If you have a gig of used ram it can take 3-5 minutes to clear all of that out. If you kill that process it won't free up the ram and you're stuck with a TON of unusuable ram. You would have to reboot at that point.