IronCad 5.2 Will Not Install

csteien

One of the Engineers in my department loaded up 5.2 this morning and everything has been working fine for him. I attempted to load 5.2 early this afternoon and I had an installshield window pop up. It tells me that there is an incompatible operating system installed on the computer. It is looking for Windows 95 or newer, or Windows NT 4.0 SP6. Our company in this location is currently running NT 4.0 SP5. (1500+ employees) For some reason the Engineer on the other side of the room running the same system with SP5 was able to install and run 5.2 and I am not. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I have yet to contact our I.S. area on the SP6 issue, but since this division of the company is upgraded all at one time, getting SP6 might take an act of God.

Ok so this may be the problem. NT 4.0 SP5 does not have Windows Installer 2.0 which is required by "Install Shield", the application that we use to install our products.

So your system needs to be able to work with Installer 2.0 which on NT only works on SP6a. This doesn't explain how someone else with SP5 could install it, and you can not. My first throught is to question whether or not the other system truly has SP5 on it, or if it has SP6a or at one time HAD SP6a and was downgraded, or something of that nature.

You can download the Windows 2000 Installer here http://download.com.com/3000-2216-10104754.html and use it to upgrade just that component, but the description there states it's for NT 4.0 SP6a.

The curious thing about all of this is our Hotfix 2 uses the same installer. If you installed Hotfix2 then 5.2 should work fine.

So with all of this said, we're not 100% certain on the problem or fix. This is the first time we've hit this.

The command that will log the installation is:

setup.exe /v"/lp+ \"c:\setup.txt""

That creates a file in c:\ named setup.txt that would tell us what's happening. The setup.exe is under the IronCADInovate Folder on the CD. If you launch the installation from a command prompt using those flags above, reproduce the failure, then email that setup.txt to me I might be able to provide further information. techsupport@ironcad.com attention: Chris

The installation ran the same, but it didn't create the text file. I attempted to download that installer as you suggested, but it errored out as the wrong OS or wrong OS version. I called our IS people, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have an update on my situation in case anyone esle should run into this type of scenario. After speaking with the other CAD station user, I found out that he had installed SP6 on his computer a month or so ago, because another application had specified SP6 as well. This worked fine until the next time he rebooted his computer. Upon startup IS has a check to make sure SP5 is current on each computer. It attempted to load SP5 overtop of SP6. This errored out, and eventually he was forced to uninstall SP6, and let the IS setup load the current SP5 package. I'm guessing that the installer 2.0 was not uninstalled from his computer and that left him the capability to load IronCad 5.2. Unfortunately for compatibility issues among the other users in our area, he had to uninstall IronCad 5.2 and reinstall the previous IronCad version. Our IS people are supposed to call me this afternoon to let me know what the situation is on SP6. Hopefully our department will be allowed SP6 and we'll be upgraded to 5.2 by the end of the week.

I have a final update on this situation. We were allowed to download SP6 and our group is in the process of loading up IronCad 5.2. Everything seems to be working fine on the 3 machines we have setup so far. The rest of our licenses should go just as smooth. Thanks!