Hole in rolled plate

wfincher

I want to create a rolled 1/4" plate that is 92" long x 26" wide that has six square hole 6" x 6" punched in the plate. Is there a way to use sheetmetal tools to punch the holes on the flat layout and then roll the plate to a 132" radius?

I have been able to use curved stock- unfold - punch the holes and then refold but the holes only show up on the flat layout. can someone give me some help in creating this part?

Bill Fincher

Guest IronKevin

Hi Bill,

We really don't have a great solution for that geometry.

You can drop an H Block on the rolled up part and they will show in the Folded state but not the Unfolded.

IronKevin

You better take a normal stock i think this will give you the opportinity to position a square on the flat:

- take a stock with the right thickness

-place a bend

-give the bend the desired radius

-give the bend th desired angle

-place a square on the stock(you need to change your tooltabel.txt if the disired square isnt there caus the custom profile is not editable on the flat)

-i have the option `create punche and forming constraints` invoked, in the options/sheet metal menu so you should have smartdimensions on your square

-change the smartdimension so that the square is on the bend

-right-click on the square in the scene-browser and use modify affected bend to get the punch in the bend

-now shorten the stock on the side that sticks over the bend to the bend

-next make the stock very small but not zero, because you need it to stick the smartdimension of the punch to hold-on to

-unfold the sheetmetal part

-click on the square in the scene-browser of the unfolded and as you can see, the square in the folded part gets coloured and if you click on it the smartdimensions in the scene get viseble and you can change them, but the change gets visible when you refold the part

Hope this helps, good luck

Wim

Bill are you aware of the "Cut Sheetmetal" functionaly? If not see if this helps you at all.

1) Drop out some curved stock. Edit the profile of the stock and create an arc.

1a) When editing the profile you must not delete the original line. This can cause things to go very wacky. We recommend you shrink it down a great deal then build from it.

2a) Your end points must be tangent. When you create that arc insure there are red lines on either side of the segment indiciating the tangency. If it isn't tangent, this won't work.

2) Drop out a block. Insure you do not drop the block on the sheetmetal. (The block must be it's own part)

3) Position the block so that it cuts through the sheetmetal entirely.

4) Select the curved stock, then hold down shift and select the block. (Must be in this order)

5) Goto Tools/Cut Sheet Metal Part. It appears to do nothing: suppress the block though and you should see a cut in the stock.

6) Unfold the curved stock. That cut should unfold properly.

If you unfold your stock and the cut does not follow, that means you didn't create tangent endpoints in your profile.

So this little excersize shows you how to create curved sheetmetal and punch a hole into it that will fold/unfold.

Chris & Wim,

your suggestions worked for making the cuts on the rolled part. My problem is that I know what the position of the holes are on the unfolded part and I want them to show up after I fold the part. Any suggestions for this?

Bill Fincher

Bill Fincher

Modeling in the flat is not functionality that IronCAD has (we're working on it) If you succeed at doing anything in the flat it will be a lucky shot at a workaround. Problem is the geometry is uni-directional. From folded to flat. You can make changes in the flat but they don't copy with the fold.

Guest Scott Wallis

Bill,

Could you use the methods above to create the aproximate hole location in the folded part, then unfold it, see what the dimensions to the hole are in the flat, then go back to the folded part and modify the hole location based on those dimensions? You may be able to zero in on it in a few tries.

Not an elegant solution obviously, but maybe better than nothin'.

(this may be similar to what Wim was describing in more detail)

Scott