IC 5.0 SP2 Saving out Assemblies.

Joel Parrish

Just curious if anyone has experienced parts changing their postion after saving out an assembly???

This is the first whole machine that we have designed using IC 5.0 SP2.

I have a model of about 300 parts divided into 6 assemblies. I saved out each of the assemblies into their own directory, as I always have done. Of those 6 assemblies atleast 1 part in 2 of the assemblies changed it's position.

#1 - I find this disturbing.

#2 - I now do not trust the location of any of my parts.

Has anyone else had any expereinces like this?

Thanks,

Haven't had that problem since version 3 or perhaps the early version 4. I have thousands of externally linked files in our large assemblies, often nested three or four deep.

I keep all of the files, though, in a single directory. The earlier versions of IronCad weren't friendly about changing directories on-the-fly, so I just got into the lazy habit of having one huge folder.

Maybe try keeping everything in one folder?

Guest mrehnelt

Yes, absolutely! My colleague has had this happen steadily for a year and a half now, and with me a few memorable times, in versions 3.2-4.2. His words: "how do I know ANYTHINGS right now?". I was hoping that it would have been addressed in 5.0 (we haven't loaded it yet) as part of the stability enhancements but apparently not. Have sent a file to tech support via AA provider to Cary O some time ago. Will 5.2 address this?

-Mike

I've been investigating this oddity, and I think that it comes from using configurations.

With this model, I have a process that is a walking beam type application. It has 4 basic positions. So in design I have 4 configurations plus a couple more (home, move1, move2, ect). I have the configuratiosn set so I can easily switch and check interferences, ect.

I had been working in the home config (not default) for sometime. And was actually in the home configuration when I had exported my assemblies. Well, from observation, when one saves out an assembly it saves it out in the default configuration, not the current configuration. This makes sense to me.

I rarely use configurations, so I hadn't really run into this problem. Thinking back on it, I have seen this before with another model that I used configurations.

So FYI, if you are using configurations, use default as your "default" (ie home). And be in the default config when you export your parts & assemblies. And there shouldn't be any surprises like parts mysteriously changing position & orientation.

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com