Using Point Cloud Data

tlehnhaeuser

Guest John Wright

Tom / Robert

You have to be very sure what you are doing with point cloud data. There are several format. The original, true format for point cloud data related to data ordered in strips ie the x and z values would change, but y would be a constant. This meant that it was easy to get the data into any surface based cad system.

However, ith the advances in structured light scanning then the points were not ordered in the same way. If this is the case then you would be best to use something like Rainbow Geomagic. If it is the former then you could get it into IronCAD fairly easily.

The thing you have to remeber when doing any reverse engineering is that most forms are the confluence of other forms. I built a scanner based on a Renishaw system - and collect stripes of data. This way I can rebuild the part using primitive shapes and blend where necessary.

The NURBS based Rev Eng systems have their place, however, they are usually best for replication - and not doing what we have had to do lots of - get a sculptured object, make it mouldable and then add all the engineering features into them. Nurbs rebuilt data + solid modelling systems = pain cubed.

We have been in this area since '86 so have the scars to prove it.

If you are just playing at it, get rhino and a microscribe.

John

Guest IronKevin

We did this at Lund:

Minolta laser scanner or Faro Arm for generating point clouds of auto exteriors

Raindrop Geomagic to create rough NURB surface models from the Point Cloud data

Mech Desktop, Catia, Imageware or IronCAD to recreate the surfaces using the Geomagic surfaces as a template.

After that the parts produced using fit to the auto fairly well with a few prototypes.

IK

point cloud into wildfire..

using it from both scan cameras and excell data from the civil engineers..

wouldn't want those neutrons to go through my office!!!

using pro is the first mistake.. maybe they will ?

Edited by mmccall

Guest John Wright

Kevin

Your right - it does - and about time somebody hit this end of the market.

The one thing to look at though in this field - is what is being accomplished. If you look at their demo piece and a few of their examples - the thing the designer wants to do is to take profiles, contours and silhouettes -which with this thing you need the cad system for. Tom, before you rush out and buy one - check how the scan data is represented in the Cad system - polygon mesh = lots of pain!

John

Guest mwalls

I use a Konica/Minolta Vivid 910 scanner and Raindrop Geomagic Studio software for data capture. It works fantastic.

By the way Kevin, did you work for Lund in Minnesota? Just wondering, as I am from International Falls.

Mike

OK, heres what I got to work with. my client uses a Centroid CNC with a digitizing option on it to get the point cloud data.

http://www.centroidcnc.com/digitizing.htm

Anyone else have experieince with this machine?

Centroid is relatively new, they are basically the team leftover from Bridgeport (after closing) that have gone on their own. I saw this machine in action it it seems to be cutting edge and very well developed.

Any inut is welcomed.

Thanks

Tom

• 6 years later...

Tom,

I used a program called AccuTrans3D to import an ascii file with XYZ point cloud data and convert it to a 3d studio (3ds) file.

The problem I run into is that Ironcad runs extremely slow using anything above 100 x 90 pixels while the AccuTrans3D program shows no slowing down at all.

I have every render option disabled, but no luck with it.

I attached the xyz cloud point data and 3ds files for a 344 x 300 pixel case and a rendering of the 50 x 50 pixel case.

-Rich

Stone_wall_test344x300.3ds

Stone_wall_test344x300.txt

Stone_wall_test_50x50.bmp