Assembly Resize With Part Length Locked?

Todd Pankratz

OK kids... this concept has evaded me from the very beginning (v3.2) and I just haven't had the time to dig into it until now.

I work for a cabinet shop. Almost all of our base cabinets are the same height and depth but the width varies, and it's not always by a set amount. All of the parts of the cabinets are made the same way. My sides all have the same machining (for a drawer and a door anyway) and they are always the same thickness (3/4"). My stretchers are always 4" x 3/4" x ?? depending on width of cabinet. etc, etc, etc...

I have a 36" base cabinet modeled and all parts are combined into an assembly. I thought I had it set, using constraints, so that when I changed the width of the assembly I would end up with a different size cabinet. On the surface this seemed to be the case, until I looked at my sides. What used to be a 3/4" thick side in a 36" cabinet has now become a 1/2" side in a 24" cabinet.

Is there any way to lock the sizes of certain parts so that only the position moves when resizing an assembly?

Guest IronKevin

Should be possible. How are you resizing the Assembly. If you are using the Assembly Sizebox handles then the Aspect Locks could play a role. Either way, I'd have to see your file to make sure I understand your needs. support@ironcad.com

IK

Guest IronKevin

Todd,

The Assembly Sizebox probably won't work for this.

Parametric Expressions are probably the right way to go. See the attached example. The Shelf becomes the driving part, the other parts derive their width from the Shelf via Expressions in the Parameter table. Then the assembly is always updated by editing the Shelf Value in the Parameter Table. (Use no handles on this)

IK

Parametric_Cabinet.ics

Todd,

Parametric Expressions are probably the right way to go.  See the attached example.  The Shelf becomes the driving part, the other parts derive their width from the Shelf via Expressions in the Parameter table.  Then the assembly is always updated by editing the Shelf Value in the Parameter Table.  (Use no handles on this)

IK

13699[/snapback]

Thanks... I'll check it out after I get these submittal drawings finished and let you know.

I appreciate everyones help.

Todd,

Parametric Expressions are probably the right way to go.  See the attached example.  The Shelf becomes the driving part, the other parts derive their width from the Shelf via Expressions in the Parameter table.  Then the assembly is always updated by editing the Shelf Value in the Parameter Table.  (Use no handles on this)

IK

13699[/snapback]

OK... I understand WHAT I need to do... I just don't understand HOW to do it... Is there a Tutorial somewhere on how to write expressions and assign them to a part? The "Help" file is of no HELP. I'm almost there... Everything sizes when I move a Side of the cabinet other than the Doors... I can't get them to stay 1/8" away from the outside and 1/16" away from the center of the cabinet. I've tried constraints but it seems as though you can only have one per door, otherwise the door goes all askew... HELP Please

Getting Started Guide Chapter 5.

IK

13715[/snapback]

Oh sure Kevin... You get to run around with a flowing red Cape and a Big IC on your chest wink.gif

Some of us have to work and don't have time to read 617 pages to figure out how to do something... If my boss caught me spending 3 hours of non-chargeable time on this he'd just tell me to draw it up in AutoCAD... None of us want THAT to happen now DO we??? All I want to do is select the left edge of the left door and align it to the left side of the cabinet with an 1/8" offset and then select the right edge of the left door and align it to the center of the bottom with a 1/16" offset and then do the same thing but mirrored to the right door. blink.gif

For some reason I can get one or the other to work but not both at the same time. The rest of the parts are working fantabulously utilizing the associative edge process (Thanks tlehnhaeuser).

Looking at your parametric cabinet file you posted, while COOL, doesn't help because I don't understand what you did to get it to do that. I don't remember WHEN I got stupid, but it must have happened recently cause I'm sure feelin' it.

Guest IronKevin

We do have training classes available in Atlanta or via the Web. biggrin.gif

I'll try to record a video of that file going together.

IK