Projecting geometry problem.

gbird

After having developed a complex 2D Shape I wish to use part of it as a cross-section for a solid. But after selecting the Extrude tool I find that I cannot project the necessary geometry using the Project Geometry to a drawing surface tool. Even though that tool is available for use.

Is this a functionality issue or a bug

Geoffrey

I've also had no success projecting from (or snapping to) 2D shapes.

Beat

I failed to recognize that you stated it was a 2D shape that you were attempting to project. Sorry for the run around

IronCAD will not project 2d geometry from 2d geomtry. You have to edit the cross section containing the geometry that you want and use copy & paste to move it onto a new grid.

IronCAD currently will not snap to, project, or in any way reference a 2d sketch. You can only copy and paste that sketch or drop the extrude tool on it.

Guest dlalonde

Interesting thread.

I use 2d dxf files of circuit board layouts to build 3d models of the electronic guts of my products. I have to import the dxf into Rhino, export from Rhino as iges, import into Ironcad as 3d wireframe (even though it's all 2d geometry). Then I can use all of that 2d geometry for reference in constructing the 3d solid model of the circuit board and the chassis details that go with it.

E.R....

Would be very nice to be able to import the dxf or dwg geometry directly into a 3d wireframe part.

f.y.i.

Cadkey is frightfully efficient at converting 3d wireframe geometry into dumb solids, which can be transferred via SAT file to ironcad.

Guest dlalonde

I expect to get the next version of a pcb for my current project within the next couple of days. I'll document the process of using the dxf to create a pcb model and post it here. I'll also send Chris the dxf and (heheh) wait for him to uncrash his computer.

A direct dxf import into Ironcad results in a facet model consisting (usually) of just the circles from the dxf.

Problem with extruding the geometry directly from the dxf is that the sketcher won't close unless the geometry is clean enough to extrude. These dxfs can be real dirty and of little use for direct extrusion.

But imported as wireframe reference geometry they're good enough to create a pcb outline with mounting holes, and to position intellishapes representing the major components and heatsinks etc.

Then I can reposition these components on the board until things fit and ask the board layout dudes to move them.

Biggest help would be to be able to get 2d and 3d wireframe geometry directly in from dxf and dwg for reference, without having to convert to iges wireframe first.

A very interesting thread indeed! There is a potential of some really usefull functionality evolving in IC.

I will enclose a copy of the most recent email I sent to Chris. I sent him an attached IC.ics file as a example which contained some simple 2D stuff with a D shaped section that I wanted to later turn into a 3D object.

Geoffrey

"Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood me. What I was attempting to do was create 2D geometry for layout & constructional purposes then use only parts of it as a profile for 3D modeling. And in my example file it was only the D shaped section (which satisfies the criteria for closed profiles etc.)

The problem is that IronCAD does not allow selection of just the D shaped section to be used as a cross section for creating 3D parts/shapes.

Yes, the D shaped section can be Cut & Pasted in an additional step to create a 3D Extrude or Spin or whatever. But if I want to keep it related to the other geometry I have to Cut & Past the whole 2D layout. Change the elements that I don't need to "Use for construction only". Then perform the Extrude etc. And as soon as the Extrude is complete I have lost all the visible reference to the 2D layout unless "Edit Cross section" is performed.

A lot of extra work and not the best solution to my probem. I needed to be certain that it was an IronCAD functionality issue and not a bug"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dlalonde

The e-cad geometry was more evil than I expected. It uses nurbs to represent circles and arcs, and worse, it often uses several overlapping arcs to represent a hole. Ironcad won't find the centers of these arcs and thus won't snap to them. Had to add real circles in autocad before importing into Ironcad.

Here are the steps req'd...

1. import evil e-cad dxf into wireframe cad pkg such as autocad, rhino

2. explode all the blocks and polylines

3. suppress unneeded layers

4. create circles where needed

5. export required geometry as iges - get units right

6. import to Ironcad

- check only wire frame import data type

- uncheck convert to solid

You should get a 3d wireframe object (which probably contains only planar geometry). Should be able to snap and project with this !

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=103

post-2901-207-1670.jpg_thumb

wireref_475kb.zip