3d Curve

Guest mwalls

I used to use the 3d Curve to make wiring all the time, but have not done it since version 6 I believe. Anyway, I went to do it today ( V8.0 ), and all I had was two cylinders spaced about 12" apart and I could not get the second side of the 3d curve to be tangent to the face of the second cylinder. I know about the shift key, but it does not seem to work on the second pick. It works perfectly on the first cylinder. I know I will feel stupid for missing something, but at the risk of this, what am I missing? Thanks.

Mike blush.gif

Guest John Wright

Mike

Do you mean tangent or perpendicular.

To make it perpendicular, select the 3D curve at edit level, move your pointer over the span near to where you want to apply the condition - an arrow will be displayed, and hit the right hand mouse button.

I cannot ever remember seeing an option to make a 3d curve tangent.

John

post-899-1141028827_thumb.jpg

Guest IronKevin

Back in 6.0, "Perpendicular to face" was the default 3D Curve behavior. Based on popular demand, we changed it to "along surface". To get Perpendicular to face, hold the Shift key when picking the face while drawing the 3D Curve.

IK

Uh...I think you mean if you hold the Shift Key you will get Perpendicular to the face or Normal to the Face (I don't think we ever had Tangent). Anyway, it seems to work here if you hold the Shift for the Start and End (I think it is only valid for Start and End, I will need to verify). Like John mentioned, you can use the handles on the splines to change the orientation if needed (this was added since 6.0).

Cary

Kevin and Cary,

Like I say, do what I mean, not what I say????......perpendicular is the right word, just a minor brain you know what, but my point was that I really miss the ability to get it perp for both the first and second face without extra steps. If I remember correctly, in V6, or shortly after, this started the requirment to hold the shift key down, and I think it worked fine for both the start and end points. Now, it just does not seem to work the same. What I did find after doing it a bunch more times is that every once in awhile, it would be perp to the second face, but most of the time it will not. Could not duplicate the method that would get the second side perpendicular, so I can't send an example. I guess I just miss this behavior. It seems to me that this would be the preferred way for it to work, but maybe I'm missing something. Thanks

Mike