What Items Affect Regeneration Time?

Mike Twining

I have recently stepped back to IC 8.0, and after checking/unchecking all the various boxes that I *THOUGHT* I always used to, I noticed that the regeneration times on, what seems to me to be, pretty simple parts is longer than I remember. I keep the "Regeneration the part Automaticall" checked...always have. But I am curious as to what other options may be causing my regen times to laaaaaagggggg. Saving brep & facet data? Saving image data to scene on save (I know...both are on save commands, but I am just pulling at strings here)? Nothing else is really calling out to me "hey, I'm slowing you down". So... is there anything, or am I just impatient and in need of a new(er) machine?

Guest IronKevin

As far I know there weren't any major performance improvements in part regeneration in PU1 (guys correct me if I'm wrong). To point the obvious (since this happened once) check your default Surface Smoothness under Tools, Options, Parts. If that got accidently set too high it would slow you down.

IK

...naaaa... it's down at 30 (the models are used all over the place in a HUGE "master" model). It seems like it is only lagging on a couple of models, each of them have 2 intellishapes that are set to "blend all intersecting edges"... I would say this is the problem, but it still *seems* slower than normal. Perhaps it is just time for the annual MS re-install.

Having Allow Reorder turned on/off can make a difference as well. Blends in different kernels can affect the rendering times as well depending on the complexity of the intersections. Really rengeneration can depend on many factors. Send some example and we can see where the time lags in the model.

Cary