Fancy Hole Patterns

David Thomas

There is a trick....

Create a Hole. Drop the Pattern Tool from the Tools Catalog onto this hole. Create the desired Rectangular Pattern.

Use the TriBall to Make a Pattern or a Link of this Pattern Set.

So you get a pattern of a pattern. Plus you get the Auto-fill of the first Pattern Tool.

Note: You cannot drop the Pattern Tool from the Tools catalog onto Pattern already using this Tool. It will give you an error and you will need to restart to get it to edit properly again. This is the effect of the VB code on this one.

Only downside is that the Tools -Pattern does not appear in the Parameter Table so the editing has to be completed down at the shape level.

Cary

Pattern works, but I am unable to edit the original shape after it is created. I have attached a file that I have tested the pattern tool on. It started out as an H cylinder in the plate, but it disappears after I drag the pattern tool onto it. How can I change the hole size after? Is there something I have set wrong, or is that how it works?

Windows 2000 professional, 8.0 PU1, hotfix 3.

Thanks

pattern.ics

What does "Tools-Options-Interaction-Enable master shape posistioning (with TriBall)" do?  Is there any drawbacks to having it selected?

13014[/snapback]

It allows you to select and reposition the master pattern shape (the shape you originally selected to creat a pattern via the tri-ball). By default, you can't bring the tri-ball up on any part of a "tri-ball" pattern after it is created. This switch will allow you to at least select the "master" shape for repositioning (in effect, re-positioning the whole pattern)...if you are into that sort of thing.

Only drawback that I can see is if you accidentally move the thing around. It is one of the many defaults that get altered on first use when I am around smile.gif

Edited by Mike Twining