Exporting Step Files ..importing To Wildfire

mmccall

When exporting step files to be used in Wildfire... be sure to re-locate the component with a logical anchor point to the 0,0,0 coordinate.. so that it will be centered in the Wildfire Datum plane CYCS.

Take note that if the component you are exporting is currently part of an assembly in IC.. you may need to "disassemble" that component so that the "assembly" anchor doesn't override the "component" anchor in the step file... meaning.. everything will be offset in Wildfire and the datum planes will be located at the assembly anchor... making your component hang off in space some distance away from all the planes...

On occasion (rare) ... I have had both step formats reverse and mirror a component when I finally imported the part into Wildfire... I have no clear reason why this would happen... just try a different format or switch kernel... from my experience... Catia exports work well in Wildfire... especially with complex shapes...but in any case.. try anything..

For my particular problem.. ACIS was the only export that worked..

Edited by mmccall

• 2 weeks later...

More on this... my previous problem

"On occasion (rare) ... I have had both step formats reverse and mirror a component when I finally imported the part into Wildfire... I have no clear reason why this would happen... just try a different format or switch kernel... from my experience... Catia exports work well in Wildfire... especially with complex shapes...but in any case.. try anything.."

Seems like the nature of this problem goes back to :

1) whether or not the component you are exporting is part of an assembly in IC

2) how the part will be imported into Pro.. meaning as a part or assem.

If you have a component that is part of an assem in IC.. before exporting, the best option may be to copy and paste the component into another file so it will be totally removed from the assembly.. (you can still have the component linked if needed)..

If you don't want to go the trouble then make sure that both the assem anchor and the part anchor are in the same place on the component you are exporting so you are covered no matter how the Wildfire user imports them.. that way all the datums will be located at the anchor...

Take note that the IC x,y,z orientation (anchor) is easy to change with the triball so if you are as careless as I am with rotating and moving things around, you may be asked to rotate component or assembly... believe me.. it is much harder to do in Pro... basically impossible... nobody wants to do it.. Pro users typically just set up new view orientations... a pain if the company already has a standard setup... whatever the case.. just make it easy for those guys.. Pro users have enough stress and problems already without having to deal with assem and component orientation...

Edited by mmccall