B. Ludin

Space mouse support - the poll  

1. 1. Space mouse support - the poll

• 1 - I don't care at all
    • 2 - I can live w/o it
    • 3 - Nice to have
    • 4 - Must have
    • 5 - Must have - now!

I still think that a poll will help the development team to get an idea of how many people actually want a feature and how urgently, even w/o a relative priorities list. So here we go...

Should IronCAD support the Space Mouse?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bring this to everyones attention once again. It doesn't show up as an Active Topic unless there is a reply posted. The poll has not moved in awhile. Surely, there is more than 32 people with an opinion on the use of a Spaceball (Spacemouse...etc.). Right????

If you have not voted on this issue, please do.

For those of you not familiar with this or for more information, look at:

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/index.php?showtopic=308

I've never used or know of anyone who has used a Spacemouse. Although i've seen them (a bit pricey, i think) But I use a Microsoft Trackball Explorer and it works great for me. You can customize all five buttons and make the buttons application specific and it is really easy to use and it eliminates the repetitive movement that you get with a mouse. Heres how I've get it set up.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=52

post-2591-336-3349.jpg_thumb

Just to clarify.

The trackball might be a good mouse but that is all it is - a mouse. The SpaceBall does not replace the mouse on your system, it augments it. Most people are right mouse handed so the SpaceBall is normally a left hand device, although it works equally well on the right side. You use them both at the same time. What makes the SpaceBall so neat is the ability to move all your camera functions at the same time. While you are working on a model you can zoom, pan and rotate simultaneously WHILE you work with your mouse. Plus the thing is equipped with 12 buttons (one more than 11 for you Spinal Tap fans) that will let you program just about anything you desire. You could work with just a fraction of the menu picks. When you manipulate the ball it is just like having the model in your hand - pull it towards you and the model zooms toward you. Twist it to the right and your model spins to the right. Or you could do both at the same time and add a push to the left and you get a zooming in-rotating right-panning left model. Get it? How could you not want one?

My experience is similar to Corey´s. Working with a trackball is not bad if we have to make priorities on enhancement recources. Mith the Logitec Trackman Marble you only move your thumb beteen two of the buttons to get to Pan or Zoom, in combination with +Shift or +Ctrl (button 3 set to Double-Click). Also adding a picture of my setting if it helps.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=63

post-2594-96-8679.jpg_thumb