Install 5.0 with 4.2?

Guest Scott Wallis

Guest Scott Wallis

I don't suppose I can install 5.0 with 4.2 still working so I can make sure it is "safe"? Every other program I use allows this, why doesn't IronCAD? The fact that we can't save back to a previous version makes it really scary. Why can't we do that either?

I'm anxious to try 5.0 but have learned to be cautious.

IronCAD 5.0 can not run in parallel with 4.2. Also, once a file is loaded in 5.0, you can never go back to 4.2. As part of our efforts to stabilize 5.0 we had to make significant changes to the file structure and the way IronCAD deals with files. So the first time you load a scene from a previous rev into 5.0, it immediatly saves it out in the new version so that IronCAD can work with it and start providing the stability. So you can install 5.0, but don't load any of your production files into in until you're ready to commit to staying with 5.0 .

It's always a good idea to approach new revs of any application cautiously when you're considering putting it into production. I would think waiting until it actually ships, and then watching these forums for a few weeks to see if it blows up on anyone is probably a good idea.

I've been running 5.0 for almost a week on my production system and it hasn't crashed yet. For me that is a very significant improvement. If we (me+we = IronCAD LLC) find or hear of anything significanlt wrong with IronCAD we'll certainly alert the community a.s.a.p. (and most likely provide a patch)

Guest Scott Wallis

Your answer makes perfect sense, but you didn't say why we can't have both versions installed. If we could, we could continue working with 4.2 on current projects, and at the same time be trying out 5.0.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dlalonde

Get thee to www.vmware.com, download the demo, install it and install a new OS in a virtual machine, then install Ironcad 5 in the virtual machine. It will not run fast but it works and you can try IC5 without trashing an earlier version. The vm can communicate with the host by way of an internal LAN so you can open some copies of your existing files. It will also let you run ancient software on your shiny new windows 2000 machine because you can create additional virtual machines and install any intel compatible OS including DOS !