Graphics Card Recommendations - What do you use?

Chris Lohman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrehnelt

Since the Wildcat is $1500-1700, double the cost of the Quadro4 750/FireGL 8800-and probably not twice as good, and given the difference between the Quadro's is minimal, my chioce is down to the Quadro4 750/FireGL 8800. Thanks for the help, everyone. By the way, while reading that review I was reminded why I chose MECHANICAL ENGINEERING! WHEW!

-Mike

Guest dlalonde

"The Quadro 4 is superior in the shaded modes, but the Wildcat III wipes the floor with Nvidia flagship in line anti-aliasing modes. In our humble opinion, the wireframe and anti-aliased modes are more important than shaded modes. After all, most CAD professionals still spend most of their time there."

I think not.

Guest dlalonde

Don't discount the full Geforce consumer cards -- they tested with an 'MX' version which is much crippled compared to the full price Geforce 4 ...

www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1583

• 4 months later...

We are looking for a professional OpenGL CAD video card, possibly a Nvidia Quadro. But, when looking through this Graphics card discussion I find that there seem to have been some problems with Nvidia drivers showing color for handles and anchors. I doubt it is a hardware problem with the Nvidia cards though.

Does this problem remain with the latest Ironcad release and the current Nvidia drivers?

Has anyone got the handles color work OK with any combination of Ironcad, Nvidia video driver and Windows version?

Thanks,

Per Arne

There's an easy workaround.

This problem exists only when you are in opengl mode AND you have a background image for your scene.

So to easily overcome this problem, just use a solid color for your scene background. For example, when going to File/New/Scene, use "Blank" instead of "Green".

I am actually working with nVidia on this issue right now. We recently obtained a few quadro cards and ALL of their cards have the same problem. I have submitted the report to nVidia and they have IronCAD at their facility and are investigating the issue along side our developers.

We have a Quadro 700XGL and a 380XGL in-house and have found them to be VERY good cards. We highly recommend them. The performance between the two is about the same percentage as the pricing I've found. The 700 costs more but it's certainly better. The 380 is a solid card though and will work out very well for anyone that has less than 30 parts in their scene at any time.

Pardon for this msg. It has nothing to do with video cards. I would like to contact jmouser or anyone else who is using both IronCAD and Pro E.

I am also not promoting Pro E on this forum. But may in the future be able contribute on the IronCAD side of this relationship.

Thanks in advance

Geoffrey

avian@earthlink.net

There was an article in either Cadence or Cadalyst recently on graphics cards. The ATI Fire GL8800 was given a "Highly recommended" rating for its low price and very good performance. Our company has recently bought three of these cards (<$300 each) and they work very well with IronCAD 5.2.

I also spoke to a sales rep at XI computer. This company typically makes some of the fastest CAD workstations at incredible prices. The sales rep told me that they really like the Quadro 900. However, he said that if the Fire GL8800 works well with IronCAD, then he would recommend the 8800 as great low-cost component in one of their systems.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:Originally posted by Andrew Owens:

I'm getting ready to purchase a new mid-range Open GL video card. If you have any experience with these types of video cards, please give your opinion on the one you're using. I'm especially interested if anyone has used any of the following cards:

ATI FIRE GL 8800

ATI FIRE GL 8700

ELSA GLoria III

Thanks,

Andy

id=quote>
id=quote>

Andy,

I just submitted a P.O. for an XI system with the following:

AMD Athlon XP2400+QuantiSpeed(2GHz)266FSB

512MB DDR 333MHz PC2700

ATI Fire GL8800 128MB DDR Dual Head

19 VX900 Viewsonic Active Matrix LCD

36GB 10,000 rpm SCSI harddrive

VIA KT400/8235 motherboard

I'll let you know how it runs within a week or two.

Dave

Some tests have criticised the image quality of the ATI Fire GL 8800. What do you think, is it sharp enough?

PAA

A year later (almost):

Since nobody answered this question during this time maybe I better do it myself: We bought two work stations with such cards, and, they show no problems regarding image quality.

PAA

I would like to compare the rendering of the ATI 8800 to my Quadro 900. If anyone out there has an ATI 8800 and is willing to help me test (dsulli?), please contact me at support@ironcad.com and I'll send to you a scene file with exact steps on how to produce an identical rendering to mine and then we can compare the results.

The new ATI X1 (I believe) is a better direct comparison, since its price is more closely aligned with the Quadro 900 (Remember, I'm paying only $300 for the Fire GL8800), but I'd be happy to run the benchmark test when I get the system. (should be here within a couple of weeks).

The last time I ordered a system, I spent the bulk of the money on a $1200 graphics card, but this time, I picked the "bargain" card to go with the 19-inch LCD TFT monitor and 10,000 rpm hard drive. Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to the X1.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

quote:Originally posted by :

I would like to compare the rendering of the ATI 8800 to my Quadro 900. If anyone out there has an ATI 8800 and is willing to help me test (dsulli?), please contact me at support@ironcad.com and I'll send to you a scene file with exact steps on how to produce an identical rendering to mine and then we can compare the results.

id=quote>
id=quote>

I just received my XI workstation computer and Viewsonic monitor yesterday. I'm still in awe of this monitor - incredible clarity and best of all-large enough so I don't have to zoom in and out as much.

The Fire GL8800 appears to be similar to my "old" Fire GL2 card. I haven't taxed it too hard yet, so it's possible that its extra 64MB of memory (128 vs 64) hasn't been needed yet. Kevin, send me the benchmark test at your convenience. (dsulli@rdinstruments.com) So far, I see no problems with the card. All colors appear as they should. I do notice that the while I'm rotating the part, its surfaces actually look more realistic - the reflective shine imparts a "just-waxed" shine that reminds me of a photorealistically-rendered image. I never noticed this with the FireGL2 card in my old machine.

XI computer: Very impressive - an extensive manual is included, along with CDs of all installed software (included for free is a 7-pack of 3D games and a "Digital Expressions" CD). The PC case features 2 USB2 connectors and a Firewire connector in the front-side and additional USB2s in the rear.

A digital CPU temperature gage with a very cool blue LED light adorns the front. There appears to be a Turbo button in the gage's bezel, but I have yet to try this feature. The keybord has 15 "hot-key" buttons at the top and the mose is a three button (with scroll) optical. All-in-all, I give this workstation a two thumbs-up rating so far. Hopefully, it will be as reliable as my Dells I have at home.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have used the ATI FireGL 8800 and the NVidia 700XGl and the ATI 8800 blows it away and is a lot cheaper. I would bet the 8700 is just about as good as the NVidia card and is only about $130 now. If I was buying my own card this is the one I would buy for the money.

Dell does not have either of the ATI cards.

We just bought a Dell Dimension with an ATI 9700TL (not PRO) for our machine shop and it does great. For sure leaves the nvidia4400 in our office desktop in the dust. Now I'm envious of our mechanic - although I must admit that the trusty ol' Geforce2Go in my laptop still does suprisingly well, particularly when taking the 1600x1200 resolution into account.

Cheers,

Beat

Typically, when running IronCAD on a system that has a non-MCAD graphics card, zooming in on a very small feature in a 2D drawing results in the view veering off to some unknown part of the drawing. MCAD cards, such as the FireGL series have no problem in this regard and can zoom in to the smallest detail (ala AutoCAD).

Recently, I purchased a slightly-used Dell 2.4 GHz Pentium IV machine for home use. It has one of Dell's basic 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra cards in it. What surprized me greatly is that I can zoom in to 2D features with this card, just as easily as I can with my Fire GL8800 card. It really does a great job for such an inexpensive card.

By the way, the "Turbo" button that is on the digital temperature gage bezel on my XI Athlon 2400+ computer at work, increases the computer's internal fan speed. I guess if the temperature readout gets a bit high, you can simply kick it into "Turbo" mode to cool down the electronics.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my new toy. Gateway E-4000 2.4 Ghzw/ 1g Ram and ATI Fire GL 8800 video card. Have had it just a day and what a difference!!! I have brought up some large assemblies and works very well and doesn't seem to blink. Major improvement in display sharpness and maniplation. Will work with it on some upcoming projects and report back.

• 1 month later...

We are getting close to the purchase of new work stations. I believe it will be the HP XV 4000 of some sort, but we have yet to decide about the graphics cards.

The ATI Fire GL 8800 has been raved about here, are you still satisfied with this also with the new IronCAD 6.0?

What about the newer ATI's, the GL X1, Z1 or E1? Anyone tried these?

Or are the Nvidia driver issues fixed by now?

What about the benchmarks, dsulli?