Proportional Scaling Of Many Parts Together

mark chng

Hi Folks

We have a model which is a box model 50x50x25, with a through hole in the middle. We plan to scale this whole object by 50% and yet still keep the through hole intact.

Please advise if anyone has the solution. Thank you very much for all your help.

cheers

mark

Do you mean you want to keep the thru hole the same diameter (no scaling)? If that is the case, your hole needs to be an "Assemble Feature" not just a regular feature of the part. Otherwise, the whole thig will scale together. One quick way to scale a part by 50% (in my opinion... there are many ways to scale things) would be the following:

1. Assemble everything you want to scale in one assembly

2. Right-Click the assembly, choose "Assembly Properties"

3. Select the "Sizebox" tab.

4. Select all the check boxes under the "Display" section (see the Lengh, width, and height handles).

5. Make sure the "Aspect Lock" is set to "All" (same tab).

6. Hit "OK"

7. Right-Click on one of the handles that now appears at the Assembly level and choose "edit sizebox".

8. Take whatever number is in there and tack on a "*1.5" and you are good to go.

MikeT

Edited by Mike Twining

Hi All

Thanks alot for your input, is there such a basic commmand like a "Scale 3D or a Scale 2D"?

The reason is because customer feel that they might want to just scale everything and sometime there is shelling problem when you do that.

Just like any scale command, they are not so concern about if the shell size will change or not but just scale to meet their target model.

Please advise..much appreciated.

Cheers

mark

Also,If its a box with a hole in the center. Then maybe its time to implement  IronCAD expressions (parameters) and incorporate parametrics into the model.

9021[/snapback]

Thank you for all your support

My customer has many parts previously drawn and would like to just scale every part together using "1D scale" if there is such.

I have attached a image and hope that will explain what i mean.

Appreciate all your help.

I changed the base cross section of the feature and constrained the inner sketch with dimensions

That will lock its length and width to a constant distance from the sides.

Notice... only 1 feature is needed

Hope this is what you were looking for... let me know.

9039[/snapback]

Sample.JPG

You can get close to that result by simply following the directions I gave you above, but make sure you have your "Aspect Lock" set to none. Grab the handle in the direction that you want to stretch and tack on your scale factor. You won't end up with oval holes though, as those features are not "scaled" per say, but now fundamentally different (hole does not = elipse). So, for your particular example, you would then need to go back and address the holes individually (hopefully you have them all "linked" together so you only need to edit 1). Hope this helps.

MikeT