Cntrolling The Cyan Colored Sweep Direction Arrow

mgajewski

When editing sweep guide curves the cyan colored sweep direction arrow seems to jump unpredictably from one end of the guide curve to the other or, if a new segment is added - who knows where to... Is there a way of controlling its direction and the start point and telling it "stay!" ?

I have seen this problem also. I usually end up deleting the offending guide curve and make a new one with the start point at 0,0,0 on the construction grid. I agree the guide curves can be very flaky and a tool for reversing the guide curve direction would be very useful.

This behavior is actually normal. It s intention is to indicate that your guide curve is disconnected or have fogue geometry.  The objective is that when you have a good clean piece of geometry the Arrow will point in one continuous direction.

8569[/snapback]

Perhaps - but what happens when you add and connect another curve? Strange things happen... And also the arrow does jump back and forth sometimes even on a clean curve - that's been my experience. rolleyes.gif

Perhaps - but what happens when you add and connect another curve? Strange things happen... And also the arrow does jump back and forth sometimes even on a clean curve - that's been my experience.  rolleyes.gif

8572[/snapback]

Good question, I never experienced that. I have arrow point in the opposite direction of the way I want to sweep and I discovered that your first piece of geometry drawn should be at the start of the sweep (0,0 point) and then it doesn;t matter that arrows jump back and forth until your down at which point the arrow should "always" be pointed correctly assuming this approach and your geometry is "clean".

Hope this helps

Tom

Thanks for the tip but I still think the situation is not "robust". I do not mind workarounds when I'm trying to accomplish something unusual or complex but to be forced into jumping through hoops while performing basic operations seems a bit off to me. I think that the fundamentals should be made really robust before moving on to the bells and whistles. Just as with the Triball in the greyed-out mode not being able to be oriented to global with one axis locked - this is a fundamental that is not working and it's costing me in productivity. I understand that there are many things being worked on by the IC team and it's a matter of priorities. There are so many things working so well in IC that I just wanted to cast my vote for continuing to make sure that the fundamentals are solid (no pun...). mellow.gif

Edited by mgajewski