Modeling A Flat Rounded Blob

mgajewski

I would guess just depends on how hard you want to make things...

Surely you could use lofted shapes... take the L3 circles for instance... change the sections to splines so you can make some really realistic "blobby" shapes... ... and go from there...

3D curves and loft between the sections...

Easy enough... put a little time into one and all the others will be copy and modify... and look really good..

Here is one out of 3D... with a surface loft... has alot to be desired... rounded edges... etc.. but just a quick run...

RIVER_ROCK.ics

OOOHH YEAH... anybody remember back in 5.2 etc when we had the "Deform Faces" function !!!! that would work here!!... especially if when you activated the tool it placed a grid over the surface you want to deform and you pull at different points..

Looks like we need that tool back !!!

To make river rocks if nothing else !!!

Yeah.. like I was saying.. my version needs a little more work... you can adjust the tangencys at the end of the 3dcurves when doing the mesh to make those sides come together without the edges being too sharp... then .. mirror to get a lower half... you can also do the normal surface to surface rounds and whatever once it is solid (or even still as a surface).. too smooth things up..

Edited by mmccall

Still, being able to modify the postion and orientation of UV-mesh nodes would be a great enhancement to the surfacing capabilities of IC. I predict that this alone would make IC much more attractive to industrial designers.

Beat

Edited by B. Ludin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...