Large Assambly

Guest npersson

Guest npersson

Hello.

To Ic crew

What is, due to ur specs the largest assy IC can handle ? Running fairly smooth.

MB?

Parts ?

Estimated save/open time, both ics and icd.

To other IC users

What is the largest assy you made ?

Regards

Nicklas

Edited by npersson

Hi Nicklas,

Our largest assey consisted of 1295 parts with over 200 external links. The parts were pretty basic mechanical partsm nothing with "freeform" shapes.

We ran it on a 1.0 Ghx CPU with 1.5 GB Ram, Elsa Gladic Viedo Card and teh performance was quite good. Keep mind the key to large assys is to external link parts/assys so you work with only the parts needed at that time. This will help to reduce taxing of your hardware.

Tom

I'm currently working on an assembly (34MB) with 2,989 parts (no external links, but many of the parts are linked internally). Many of the parts are quite complex - multi-shape parts that have been combined into a single shape. It's a bit slow to save (5-10 minutes), but workable.

I'm using a Dell GX270, 3GHz processor, 3GB RAM & a nVidia Quadro FX500 video card.

Guest gfeidner

I am currently working on an assembly with over 40,000 parts. All linked internally. It is working well but eventhough we have a fairly fast system, normally, this is slowing it down some.

I am currently working on an assembly with over 40,000 parts.  All linked internally.  It is working well but eventhough we have a fairly fast system, normally, this is slowing it down some.

8481[/snapback]

40K assy, thats impressive. If you don't mind, can you tell me what your designing?

We have IronCAD scenes and drawings to a total size of 339MB.

Our internal memory is currently 1GB. This does not seem to be quite enough, since we get out of memory warnings and really sluggish performance on the largest assemblies.

Questions to the IronCAD developers:

1. How many times do the size of scene and drawing files expand when handled by IronCAD 7.0?

2. Is there a limit in IronCAD 7.0 itself as to how many parts or how many MB of scenes it can handle.

I heard a rumor that Ironcad compresses files 10:1 (so if you have a 30 Meg file on disk, when you open it you are using 300 Meg. of memory). I would say that if you are really working with large models, 1Gig of mem probably won't cut it. I recommend doubling it (2 Gig) and adding the /3GB startup option discussed here if you are getting a lot of "Out of memory" errors.

MikeT

Are you saying that the /3GB switch is useful even with only 2 GB of RAM?

8540[/snapback]

Yep. I won't even begin to explain why, but there is a thread in the community where (I think) Chris Loman gives a good description of the switch, and how/why it works. I believe it begins to be usefull when you exceed 1Gig of memory, but that may be a lie smile.gif

MikeT

P.S. A good description of the /3gb startup switch can be found here. And the credit goes to Cary.

Edited by Mike Twining

Guest gfeidner
40K assy, thats impressive. If you don't mind, can you tell me what your designing?

8490[/snapback]

We are a national builder of custom pipe organs. You may email me directly at gwf@parsonsorgans.com