Transfer Of Settings And Defaults

Guest EricFoy

Okay, guys, here's the deal...

I certainly cannot be all alone on this one.

There I was, totally stoked about getting my new double-barrelled, hyper-strung, multi-zigahertz-jigabyte workstation going. I fire up IronCAD, get in there, hit my favorite hot-key, and -errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcchhh (audible skid-marks). My IC eXPerience is severely hampered by the fact that I must now spend upwards of an hour getting all of my UI customizations and tweaks re-installed.

I've tried copying the .tbc file from my old system. Didn't work.

So, IronDudes, is there a "Transfer Settings" tool available? Please say yes.

How about a big button that says:

"Transfer Settings and Defaults"

tongue.gif

7630[/snapback]

Rick, can you sell me one of those? How much? If there's only one in existence, then maybe we can pass it around the community, because I think a bunch of us will want to borrow it.

Pssst: I'll betcha a buck the IronDudes got one, and they're just not sharing...

Sure do, it's called a three-button mouse. wink.gif

Seriously though, I use most defaults but in the one case where I really want somethign set up that doesn't come as is, I have saved a registry script.

But, like Kevin said in another topic, I don't want to take responsibility for hosing your machine by posting bad registry modification instuctions smile.gif However, as a hint look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IronCAD and may the force be with you.

Thanks, Steven, but here's where I'm at: I've been to the registry, goofed around a bit in there. It's fun. I'm a veteran Pascal and C programmer, with some C++ experience, so I understand your "no guarantees" clause. But when you say "registry script", I think to myself, "very kool", but I have no idea how to implement such a thing. Could you give me a hint?

Thanks

I don't know anything about anything, but here is a hint....

You can "export" registry settings to a file (*.reg) by simply right-clicking on the registry "folder" you want and choosing "export" (this will create a .reg file in a location you specify).

You can "import" registry setting which are entered into a proper .reg file by simply double-clicking a (the) *.reg file (that you may or may not have created in the step above).

Just a general FYI smile.gif

Enjoy

MikeT.

Wow, you can do that?  I never knew !

7745[/snapback]

Yeah... you brainiac types tend to do things the hard way (j/k) smile.gif. I can immagine the 50 lies of code you have to do the same thing. Us functional retards take a look at the problem, realize that it is too hard to tackle, then give up. Then two days later we stumble on the solution accidentally when wiping the spilled coffee and drool off the keyboard.

MikeT.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.........

Now I get it.

I think.

But I'll never remember where I heard it.

Seems Windows is like a fine restaurant: The best patrons use the back door.