Graphics Card

Anders Lindgren

Hello!

I am going to buy a new computer and I have got an offer on one with Quadro FX 330, 64 MB pci-express. In charts on PNY's homepage the card has an application performance in Pro E-02 and UGS-03 which is twice as much as the best Quadro FX 4000 AGP card. Is it really much faster than all the AGP-cards, which is much more expensive? And it has less memory size? Is it right or have I misunderstood something?

I am not sure if the 330 card will perform enough. I need a card for entry level or mid range.

Chris or anyone else, could you help me? Do you have any experiance whith pci-express cards yet?

Best regards

Anders Lindgren

PCI-express cards chart (on page two)

AGP cards chart

Edited by Anders Lindgren

I recently bought a Gateway 500GR, which is a 3GHz HT 800MHz FSB blah blah blah, with Intel on-board graphics. The native graphics aren't half bad for being the basic built-in stuff, but when I installed my Gigabyte Technology nVidia GeForce PCX 5900, that's when things got interesting. All I've ever run is lower- to mid-range graphics cards, so I can't compare this thing to the thousand dollar boards, but lemme tell ya: for a fast 200 bucks, this card SMOKES. OpenGL renderind is beautiful. Performance is there. It's ON.

So Here's my bottom line:

ATI: look for trouble - OpenGL won't work well, no matter what they say.

nVidia: OpenGL rocks. Go with PCI-Express if possible and enjoy!