Model Accuracy For Step Export

pdomenicali

I have exported models many times via STEP for use in SolidDesigner. If these parts are then used for certain operations in SD (such as boolean operations or matching faces), SD refuses to perform the operation citing different accuracies between the bodies. The native SD accuracy defaults to 1e-6mm, whereas it shows the imported parts from IC to be 1e-5mm. A while back on this forum it was claimed that IC's internal and export accuracy was 1e-6mm, but this seems to be in conflict with what SD reports about the imported parts from IC.

This is causing a problem because you cannot change a part's accuracy to a smaller number in SD, so my client is forced to change all other parts in the assembly to 1e-5 to match my exported IC parts. They are not happy about this!

So I'm wondering:

1. Is this a bug where IC's exported STEP files seem to show 1e-5mm accuracy even though it is supposed to be 1e-6?

2. Is there a setting somewhere for changing the exported part accuracy in STEP?

Regards,

Peter

Further explanation:

In SolidDesigner you can set the accuracy for STEP import to be either manual or automatic. I normally leave it at automatic, which was choosing 1e-5mm for all IC parts. I've tried forcing it manually to 1e-6mm, and in that case some parts come in OK but others come in with errors, showing up as non-manifold parts (i.e., an incomplete set of faces due to the imported faces not quite touching at all edges and corners). The imported parts then show the desired 1e-6mm accuracy, but of course the corrupted parts are non-usable.

So it appears that SD is somehow insisting on slightly finer accuracy than IC is delivering in the STEP files. I suspect this is a rounding issue at the last decimal place. SD seems to be very strict with imported part geometry.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Regards,

Peter