New Board

Rick Dorrington

Guest Ramzi Asfour

The old board was pretty basic and very easy to use.

This new one looks sharp, but seems a little cluttered.

The font size is a little small and I find it harder to read, but I'm not sure why yet...something about the layout or colours.

I think everyone will get used to this new format after a while...

RA

Ok Chris.

The old board was

Easier to read

Easier to navigate

and I just liked it, mmmK?

The new board just doesn't have the same "feel" and seems a bit sterile. I think the Iron workers of the world just got a little bit less productive as the search starts for the coolest avatar on the planet.

If you want to show your country of choice then:

"My Controls..Edit Profile Info..Your Location"

Edited by Rick Dorrington

Thanks Rick and Ramsi. We can definitly work on the colors and fonts and such.

I'll come up with a few concept skins for you to try and tell me the good/bad about each one.

So Rick, you preferred the colors from the old board? I can try to create a skin that uses those colors first...

Can you guys help me understand how one might modify the appearance of the board so that it didn't seem as cluttered? Perhaps if, instead of graphical buttons, I just used hyperlinks for the reply,post, edit, etc stuff?

I like the new board, especially the new options like the Avatar.

Colours are confusing me a little too

Green is to me: go, or like: take this

And green and blue is to near.

I would use green and grey.

Grey for already read.

....a question of time to learn that.

Chris: the best is to ask me first! :-)

Which is really bad is the fact that graphics are very dressed up, like anybody does today (Microsoft and so on ) Fade colours up and down, bright and dark.

This looks good and professional, but its much harder to read and the eyes become confused and tiered much faster.

I think it will need some time until the programmers learn that: less is more!

Anyway good work!

By the way: I do not understand the meaning of 4 spheres or one cylinder at the username.

I have a little beef with the new boards:

I am one who hates the default Windows "Theme" (the colors a.k.a. Windows Classic) and I take some time to get colors I like. In some cases, I have text displayed as something other than black (currently light yellow text on dark blue background). The new board sometimes uses the currently set "Windows" text colors on top of pre-defined backgrounds. For example, right now (as I type in the edit window) I can tell that there is text on the "Add This Attachment", "Add Reply", and "Preview Post" buttons, but I cannot read the text (as it is light yellow on light blue). Also, I can tell there is some text after "Open Tags:" directly above the post window, but that appears as light yellow text on a white background...

Anyway, to make a long story short: "Don't use "Windows" text colors on top of "non-windows" (or pre-defined) backgrounds. If you specify a button or background color in code, make sure you specify the text color as well (something other than "Automatic"). Again, do not mix "Automatic" colors with specified colors cause you can get some crappy results.

MikeT

(Sorry for the rant, but it happens all the time!)

I do have one question on the new format vs. the old format. Is there a way on the new format, to be able to have the listing of the new replies etc. based on when I last visited the community? The old format had a way to list just the ones I have not read since my last visit. All I see now is an option for a listing of "todays" new posts. It was very nice to be able to click on the New Since Last Visit ( or something like that ) button and have a listing of just the subjects I have not read since the last time I was on. Thanks

I do have one question on the new format vs. the old format. Is there a way on the new format, to be able to have the listing of the new replies etc. based on when I last visited the community? The old format had a way to list just the ones I have not read since my last visit. All I see now is an option for a listing of "todays" new posts. It was very nice to be able to click on the New Since Last Visit ( or something like that ) button and have a listing of just the subjects I have not read since the last time I was on. Thanks

7470[/snapback]

- "View New Posts" on the right hand side.

-Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, can you tell me where you are changing the system font that is being used on the forum buttons? (I can't seem to find where that is changed)

Kelly, is it stretchy enough for you now? smile.gif

The "glassy" appearance from the old graphics are gone now. Did anyone notice the difference?

Carlo, the sphere/cylinder/bolt-circle/etc is a new "rank" system that upgrades as your post count increases. The ranking has no impact on anything really, it's just a little fun feature.

While subtle, there were many changes made to the discussion forum skin recently. So please let me know what you think.

Hi Chris

I like the second version of the new board much more.

Better handling now.

I always was wrong with the handling of green and blue, still after some time. huh.gif Now the difference between new and old is well to see.

Thanks to Iron Cad for lissening on us.

Mike, can you tell me where you are changing the system font that is being used on the forum buttons?  (I can't seem to find where that is changed)

I was just customizing the windows theme colors (classic themes), but is dosen't matter any more... you guys fixed it. I also like being able to correctly select text in the posts too. Nice improvements!

MikeT