ftp software

tlehnhaeuser

We are looking to add ftp services to our website. Can anyone reccomend a good ftp ultiity. I have a link below that lists a bunch, but do know which we the the best/ most stable/ and least problematic.

http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=ftp&tg=dl-2001&search.x=22&search.y=6

If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

thanks

Tom

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

http://www.magnacad.com

Make sure you have a grip on hove security works on your server before you open the FTP server up. We started one like a year or two ago, and it did only take over night before someone from cyberspace have used it for somekind of filetransfering, leaving folders totally impossible to remove (named "Insaine").

Problem with FTPs is that password is sent en clear, uncrypted format.

Windows 2000 server has an integrated FTP server.

Robert Andersson

Solidmakarna

Guest Floris Stam

Here I i,m from Portugal on vacation on the forum...

Dont use the FTP of Windows its to much ahsle to get all the directory the right user rights.

I use BulletProof FTP Server (NEVER LETs YOU AND THE SERVER DOWN smile.gif Tried a view but this one is the best. Read the manual first and you FTP is set in an our. Need help email me.

Floris Stam

Anvil Support

www.IronCAD.nl

Hey Floris,

Hows Portuagal? I hear its really a fun copuntry where they work 24 hours a day and party 30. Any thruth to that statement? ha ha

Thanks for your help. Its funny but the Bulletproof doesn;t have a good rating: see leink

http://www.download.com/BulletProof-FTP/3000-2160-10161816.html?tag=lst-0-9

I wonder why, but I 'll try it anyway. I trust hearing it from you more than a rating sheet on the web.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

http://www.magnacad.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Floris Stam

True but if you read the statements there talking about the support and the client FTP.

Floris Stam

Anvil Support

www.IronCAD.nl

• 1 month later...

I've been curious about the ftp facility built into IE. Is it so stripped down that it doesn't work well, or is it something I haven't been doing right? I've never taken the time to explore (no pun intended) it's capabilities, but it seems to me that Microsoft could easily make it a seamless operation to simply drag and drop your folders and files in and out of an ftp window, etc. It seems I recall running into some kind of permissions or authentication dificulty...

Anyway, I've used Core ftp lite with reasonable success. It seems to have a pretty comprehensive set of options, but I'm definitely a powder-puff ftp-er, so I can't speak authoritatively, except that it was reasonably easy for a light-weight like me to install and run.

Yeah I use IE for quick and simple ftp uploading/downloading. IE is missing many of the Unix commands so you can't use it to chmod a dir; but it does the basic add/remove/rename/delete/up-down stuff so for the most part it seems to work fine.

I use IE for FTP sites that I don't regularly visit (sites like our anon ftp site would be to you); but I too use Core FTP for the sites that I regularly manage and interface with. IE FTP feels slower to me; it certainly takes longer to login; and it doesn't remember your sites and account info so...for simple stuff it has its place.

For simple ftp work you can use TotalCommander too. The 2 screens make it possible to drag and drop, and ofcourse it remembers all settings you use for different ftp sites.

www.ghisler.com

They have a trial version. Just install the product and you have got a fully functional program. For a while.....

Kelly