I need some Forum training....

Mike Twining

So, how do you guys (who know how to do it) insert pictures into your posts? When I hit the "insert image" button all I get is "[ img][/ img]" (without the spaces). I tried to upload the file so that I could put a path in between the tags, but I get a "File Type not allowed" message when I tried the .jpg format.

... I figure, I have been using the forums for about a year now, might as well learn what I am doing.

Thanks

MikeT.

I always use GIF for screenshots, etc. 32-64 colors are usually enough to get the point across. My big problem is that you can only upload one file per message. (If you try to upload a second file, you always get the html code for the first file.) I haven't tried uploading a jpeg, but I assume that Web naming conventions apply (no spaces.) A space in your file name is probably what's generating the "File Type not allowed" error.

Thanks Mike!

Just so you know, the extension was the problem, not the space (no jpegs I guess). I believe your user name (like mine) contains a space anyway, so...thats not it. Becides, most browsers will convert a space into a "%20".

For the rest of you who want to insert photos, the following worked for me:

1. Click the little "Attach File" paperclip.

2. Select your file (locally) for upload.

3. When upload is complete, take note of the path (will be something like "\community\upload\(username)\(filename)")

4. In your post, select the "Insert Image" from the top toolbar.

5. Insert your image path (the \community\upload.... part) in between the tags.

6. Sit back and enjoy your picture-included post.

MikeT.

quote:Originally posted by Mike Twining:

Thanks Mike!

Just so you know, the extension was the problem, not the space (no jpegs I guess). I believe your user name (like mine) contains a space anyway, so...thats not it. Becides, most browsers will convert a space into a "%20".

For the rest of you who want to insert photos, the following worked for me:

1. Click the little "Attach File" paperclip.

2. Select your file (locally) for upload.

3. When upload is complete, take note of the path (will be something like "\community\upload\(username)\(filename)")

4. In your post, select the "Insert Image" from the top toolbar.

5. Insert your image path (the \community\upload.... part) in between the tags.

6. Sit back and enjoy your picture-included post.

MikeT.

id=quote>
id=quote>

Whenever I insert pictures, I use 1 & 2, and I believe it uploads it to IC's servers. So there is no need for the rest of the steps, unless I'm wrong, but I don't need to do the additional steps you show. I know on other forums that I frequent, you usually need to upload any picture to a website (there are plenty of picture posting sites out there) and then tell it where to pull the pic from using steps 4 & 5 as noted. I would think that the additional steps would post 2 pics. Plus I always use .jpg when posting pics.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried all the above ans nothing works for me. Ive tried GIF, JPG, lowercase, uppercase, spaces, no spaces, upload, attach, sandwitch url info inbetweeen tags and nothing works. Can anyone set the record straight because I would love to not have always click on seeing the attchemnets

thanks

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

In order to post an image:

1) Click the attach file icon

2) Upload the image

3) DO NOT CLOSE THE UPLOAD WINDOW WITH THE [x]. CLICK ON THE CLOSE WINDOW LINK. (This is the critical step)

4) After you click on the close window link, the forum will automatically write code into your post with the tags.

[edit after Tom posted below]

5) The filename extensions must be lower case IE, .gif will work but .GIF will not. Note: You must unhide extensions for known file types in the Windows Explorer Folder Options (on the view tab) so that you can rename the extension.

chris I have tried that but here it goes again to make sure.

Nope. Chris you method used to work for me than one day no longer. I can't remember what may have changed on that day.

Robert, I have it set corectly but I have the same problem from any of our computers.

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

2DControlsg.GIF