In praise of Iron

Guest dlalonde

Guest dlalonde

Hi Rodney, my reply grew into a rant/manifesto so I decided to post it here!...

Yep, sometimes we have it good with Ironcad, sometimes we have to use a workaround. But the Irondudes are good, they are very smart and very nice people (at least the ones they let near the phones), and they will listen when you ask for or complain about something. The only problem I see with the Irondudes is that there just aren't enough of them. I often worry about them surviving in a tough marketplace with big competitors, and sometimes wish that someone with big bucks would back them, but maybe they're better off where they are, because big money always attracts a$$holes with MBAs. (sorry to any mba-irondudes). Just read John Walker's Autodesk Files at www.fourmilab.ch for a case study (it's only 900 pages).

On another topic...

How many times have I sent a wonderful cad model to a toolmaker or machine shop in iges wireframe or sat3.0 because they have some crappy old cad or cam software running on a 486-33? Geez, you can buy Inovate for the cost of a decent vise.

Seems to me that to keep Ironcad healthy, could we all try to promote it locally a little bit?

Dave