Really long load time

What would cause a 92Mb .ics file to take over an hour to open?

And is very sluggish once it opens.

I had a file that started acting sluggish, not terrible but noticeable.

It was a little over 300 Mb, certainly not the largest file I have had.

I cleaned a bunch of junk out of the file and split it up into 2 files (as there were two major assemblies in the file).

Each ended up being around 100Mb, but were still slow to open.

I thought my old RAID server might be going bad so I moved the files to my computer's hard drive with no improvement.

I updated all of the parts in one of the files and tried it again, no change.

The file does not appear to be taxing the CPU, only about 35%.

I tried opening a similar sized file and it took less than 15 sec to open.

This file had quite a bit of imported data from digital sculps that had been converted to nurbs solids compared to the slow file which was mostly IC generated.

Power Spec   <1 yr old

i7-13700KF 3.40 GHz

32 Gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070  12Gb GDDR6X

Windows 11 Pro

• Like 1

The 3D Scene ICS file is a database "container" of various data and sometimes it can happen that parts of the file becomes corrupt. When this happens it usually never affects the solid 3D geometry, but other parts of the file data. In your case it seems to be the graphical facet display data that was corrupt.

If the file can be opened, you can drag the content into a catalog and then drop the content back out in a new 3D Scene file.

If you cannot open the file, you can try to create a new 3D Scene and then Insert the problem ICS file into it. All you get is the solid data (the assembly tree structure will be intact). Remember to remove the external link (unless you didn't remove the link at Insert) from the top assembly. You don't want to have a link back to the problem file itself. You can then save the file in the same folder and add a little something to the file name. Then rename the files after you have closed IRONCAD. All other files with links will just look at the file name, so there's usually nothing more you need to do.

Kevin & Jonas,

Thanks for the info. 

I had split another assembly out of the original troublesome file and it is having the same issue.

I will try your trick and see if that works.

Fortunately I had no external links in the files.