Copy / Link Positioning Constraints with Assemblies?

LSMITH

Hi all, I've searched around and haven't found anything directly related to this but it's a question about copying or linking parts or assemblies that have positioning constraints.

I'm building a platform that has gas shocks to assist in raising it. I've modeled one end (two posts with connecting beam, attachment points, and shocks consisting of a body assembly and a rod assembly. I'm successful in setting all of the constraints to act as I would like for this end. The opposite end of this structure is exactly the same. I can copy or link everything I've built to the other end but it doesn't bring the constraints with them.

I imagine this is more than likely a setting that I'm missing but I was wondering if there is a way to bring these constraints over with the copied or linked assemblies. I would like to avoid having to reset all of my concentric and distance constraints on each shock. Would saving the assembly as an external link and then placing that external link back into the model bring with it the constraints? I could then unlink it from external, add the assemblies together however they needed to be.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Assembling everything I wanted to copy to an external file and then inserting that back into the file did work. I was able to disassemble the inserted part and keep the constraints. I'm hoping there's a faster way to do this as now the individual parts are no longer linked with the originals.