I would like to no how to read a AutoCAD 3D dwg file.

tgjang

Hi

I had a question from an IronCAD customizer about how to read 3D dwg format drawings created in AutoCAD into IronCAD in 3D.
When I take an AutoCAD dwg file and read it into CAXA Draft, it reads as a 2D drawing.
How can I read the AutoCAD 3D dwg file as a 3D file in IronCAD?
I would be grateful to know.

* Appendix 
In the future, many 3D files will be created as AutoCAD 3D DWG files by AutoCAD compatible CADs (ZWCAD, BricsCAD, IntelliCAD, NanoCAD, UniCAD, GstarCAD, SmartCAD), and in order to cover this and replace AutoCAD and its compatible CADs with IronCAD, it is necessary to be able to read AutoCAD 3D files in CAXA Draft or IronCAD.

Thanks.

AutoCAD_to_CAXA.png

<     CAXA Draft   >

AutoCAD_to_SpaceClaim.png

< SpaceClaim >

Edited by tgjang

Thank you for your quick response. Cary
I sincerely want AutoCAD and its companion CADs to be replaced by IronCAD, because that's the way we live.
Because that's the way we live. :D

That's interesting about implementing 3D DWG import within the Native Translator. However, speaking as someone who collaborates with the DWG world a lot, I'm not convinced that this is the right approach to take for IRONCAD. DWG files that contain 3D models in Model Space will also contain 2D drawings within the Layout Space. My personal view has always been (and I have previously requested this) that CAXA DRAFT should be able to open 3D DWG files as well, along with any associated 2D Layouts. The SDKs regarding this capability are already available from the ODA, so CAXA / IRONCAD should be making use of them. Then there simply needs to be a link added between Model Space in CAXA DRAFT and IRONCAD's 3D Scene, so that the 3D model can be edited (and inserted into other scenes). By doing it this way you can potentially edit DWG 3D models in IRONCAD and maintain the associated 2D layouts (that are looking at the model in Model Space). If you do it any other way (such as is being considered) you will limit the potential interoperability.

If you want to import 3D models from a DWG file into IRONCAD, then you currently need to export the "Solids" from the DWG file using the included "ACISOUT" command (or an exporting utility). Then you can import the ACIS solids into the IRONCAD Scene.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Thanks 2