How much can I expect reducing LOAD & SAVE time of ICS with Nvme M.2 Raid0?

Bertrand Kim

Hi folks,

image.png.2d5ae70e20b0f824bc63ae64e9f30255.png

The amount of time it takes to save ICS is staggering. For a single file of about 300MB including external linked parts, with Samsung 980 PRO, the saving time is usually 10~30 seconds, which is way beyond my patience.

So I'm looking for making saving time rapidly as my rocket!! Does anyone have any idea how much time I could save by doubling the read & write speed of the Hard Disk? 10%? 20%? 30%? Or 50%?

Anyone tried IronCAD with this?

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=23533

Kim

Edited by Bertrand Kim

Okay,

RAID0 won't help, since IronCAD only uses 100MB/s at peak while saving.

image.png.580c5feafe43d2d48dadbceb65389531.png

Thanks

• Like 1

IronCAD file save time can be considered 2 portions:   1.  Process internal IronCAD data and put them into memory stream.  2.  Write the memory stream to Disk.   It depends on the file.   The percentage of the 2 portions can be different significantly.  If the first portion takes 80% of time, double disk writing can only save you 10% of time.

Thank you very much YIi. I think I'll try changing the memory first.

I'm currently using DDR4 4000Mhz.

I've been googling to see if increasing the ram speed will increase the saving speed, but I haven't found any meaningful benchmarks, I'll have to try it myself. ^_^

Kim

Hi Kim,

This was my frustration before but it less for now on the ics model. I moved my paging file away from the system drive to a larger drive with a lot of space so it can expand and shrink without squeezing available spaces in mix on C:\ system drive.

image.thumb.png.92a7781489d2b30e986dc0a12bd69bd6.png

My C drive is a NvMe, D drive is a sata SSD and E a 2GB 7200 hdd. I worked with 50-60 mb model files. It was an improvement when I placed projects on SSD. I was lucky enough to get a  pair of 32 GB(64GB) DDR4 3200 during a sale. I used to have 2x16GB(32GB) it was fine but the sale was to hard to resist. This made easy with working with 30+ icd drawing sheet. Saving drawings does save longer a bit.

If I left the virtual memory/page file as system managed, it was really slow with bigger projects.

Regards,

• Like 1