floating bunk bed

Guest Dom

Hey!

I am planning a bunk bed for my son and would like to have a validation. Due to chimneys (left) and a cut-out to enter the bed (right), the shape is a bit strange (see picture). In order to save space in height, I'm planning a flat steel construction with OSB panels (instead of wooden beams). My questions would be:

1. Are square steel tubes 50 x 50 x 3mm enough to carry the OSB structure, mattress and two adults? Or would there be better/flatter alternatives?
  2. How and where should the frame be reinforced?
  3. Would the overhanging corner (right) have to be connected to the ceiling beam with a steel cable, or could it work without?
  4. What attachment points do I need for the three walls to make sure the frame is well connected without affecting statics?

Many thanks for your assessments!

fetch?id=3769&d=1674974031

fetch?id=3770&d=1674974043

Disclaimer: Don't get structural advice like this from forums on the internet, professionals will not answer your question as it would be unprofessional and potentially open them up legally if something goes wrong.

Your 50 x 3mm SHS should be strong enough, however, it will largely depend on the structure itself. Where and how you would go about fixing this structure to the walls would very much depend on the structure of the house itself.

If you want to optimize the structure for the space I strongly recommend seeking professional advice so they can properly engineer the structure. You are looking at a structure that is 100-150kg sitting above where people are walking through.

If you want to handyman the job, consider the access ladder may be considered a support if built properly, and definitely consider using ground supports as opposed to fixings into the walls. Also consider how you will fix all the parts of the structure together, and how you will get it from the workshop to the room in question, you wouldn't want to be welding in a bedroom for example. 

• Like 1