Blending problematic edges

JARICO

Hi guys.  I'm having problems blending some challenging edges and wondered if anyone can see a way to overcome it.  I can do a small blend successfully, but from a manufacturability point of view, my machinist is telling me that I could save a bunch of CNC time if I can make the blends larger.  Stands to reason since he can rip into it with a larger tool and not have to resort to tiny tools and multiple operations.

Here is the area in my part that is causing grief.  I can understand why because the intersecting geometry is quite complex - I have a loft with a fillet and a cylinder intersection right in the corner of the loft, and there's a nasty point sharp point that complicates matters.  But since there a number of blend options in IC that I don't fully understand yet I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any ideas.  Area of part as follows:

Capture 4 is the closest but I'm not able to complete the blend all the way to the top of the boss.  I'm still trying different sequences of blends and other things but results seem kinda random.

Cheers...

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

On 8/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, Cary OConnor said:

Can you attach the model so that we can take a look? Sometime and offset blend type may work but I would need to test it with your model. 

I ended up getting this a lot better however I would be interested to see if you can squeeze a larger blend on the side without the opening.  Where the opening is I've hit my target (3.2mm was the machinist request), but on the side that is enclosed / hollowed out the best I can get is 2.1mm.  It's not unacceptable by any means but just trying to work with the machinist to reduce machining time and cost.  Model attached and thanks so much for taking the time to look!

Adaptor Plate.ics

There looks to be two issues at that location. The cylindrical boss does not smoothly connect with the side face and a 3.3 blend will conflict with the other side as well. 

What I did:

1. Make this blend larger say 3.5.

image.png

2. Add the 3.2 Blend. You will see that the faces do not smooth as they are not connected smoothly.

image.png

3. Added a blend to the Boss Edge that will overlap and smooth it out. You may need to play with this as it create a kink at the top.

image.png

Maybe this will help. 

Adaptor Plate.ics

Hi @Cary OConnor, thanks so much for your help.  Much appreciated!

The other end is the more problematic one however.  Apologies if I didn't make that clear.  Screen capture below.  I'm trying to blend all edges to about 3.2.  I managed to get to a max of 2.1 around the bosses and the bottom face before the blending function threw the toys out of the pram.  Screen capture of that and it's also in the model I attached previously

Blend problem.JPG

Blend 2.1.JPG

Edited by JARICO