Configurations with external link

LEE MENG CHE

A Configuration in the 3D Scene is a type of filter (it can control suppress on/off and/or the XYZ position in space - per Object) which is stored within the ICS container file. Since you haven't stored the open 3D Scene as an ICS file yet, the configuration that you have made isn't stored anywhere either. Always start with saving the file you are working with, before saving out external links from it.

If you then open a new empty 3D Scene and run Insert Part/Assembly to insert the first stored ICS file into that new ICS file, you can reach the configuration like you expect in the Scene Browser tree structure.

So, the right click option under the link in the Scene Browser can be used to change configuration when the ICS file has been inserted into another ICS (3D Scene) file.

Note: When saving all the content (the single assembly with all parts in) of a file to a new ICS file there's a risk of getting a Circular Reference (an ICS file which content looks for another ICS file (itself), which looks for another ICS file (itself), which looks for another ICS file (itself) and so on forever. Usually this can only happen when you manually change the ICS file name from the MS File Explorer, when IRONCAD is closed).

This is almost a bit "philosophical" and quite hard to explain in text in an easy way, so please let me know if you have any questions :)

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:12 PM, Jonas@Solidmakarna said:

A Configuration in the 3D Scene is a type of filter (it can control suppress on/off and/or the XYZ position in space - per Object) which is stored within the ICS container file. Since you haven't stored the open 3D Scene as an ICS file yet, the configuration that you have made isn't stored anywhere either. Always start with saving the file you are working with, before saving out external links from it.

If you then open a new empty 3D Scene and run Insert Part/Assembly to insert the first stored ICS file into that new ICS file, you can reach the configuration like you expect in the Scene Browser tree structure.

So, the right click option under the link in the Scene Browser can be used to change configuration when the ICS file has been inserted into another ICS (3D Scene) file.

Note: When saving all the content (the single assembly with all parts in) of a file to a new ICS file there's a risk of getting a Circular Reference (an ICS file which content looks for another ICS file (itself), which looks for another ICS file (itself), which looks for another ICS file (itself) and so on forever. Usually this can only happen when you manually change the ICS file name from the MS File Explorer, when IRONCAD is closed).

This is almost a bit "philosophical" and quite hard to explain in text in an easy way, so please let me know if you have any questions :)

Hi Jonas,

That's great ! It's worked .

Thank you for your detailed explanation .

MC Lee

Hi @Jonas@Solidmakarna,

There is another question with the Configurations , if I want to copy the same assembly in new file , is it possible to separate them both into independent?

When I change one of them configuration another will be changed , it's make sense , because both of them are from the same file , so , would it be separated into independent ,

I could aim one of them change the configuration and another don't followed .

Thank you.

No, that is currently not possible. But I have an enhancement request registered for that since before (Ticket #9834). I think that the function to be able to change the active configuration for an externally linked object was introduced in v10 (2007). But different configurations cannot be used for different instances (copies) of the same file.