Does anyone have a good way to copy and entire project?

bmckelvie

Starting to get frus trated with this one.

I have a project that I made a while ago,  it pulls in a lot of external Ironcad files in different directories.

I want to save all the files to a new dir so I can go through rename, clean it up and make some improvements to the design.

I have sold the existing machine to many customers so I want to keep all the records from changing, ie I need a permanent copy of the drawings and models.

Every time I try to save it all to a new dir then go back and start modifying the new files,  i find that some will inevitably still be pointing back at the originals?1  I have 6 different copies now on my hd,  and every time I try to clean it up it just gets worse. 

So does anyone have a way to do this?   Bonus points if there is a way to keep the drawings too. 

So what you need to do is copy all the drawings and all of the scene files (unless you want some to remain linked an unchanged) to a new location. Change one letter of the original file so it cannot find the files and then browse to the new location. After this, go into the drawings and hit ctrl+alt+L and browse to the new part location for each drawing. I believe you could also do a pack and go, but I haven't done that in a while. That first method I use at least once a month if not much more. Hope this helps. Don't forget to correct the name of the original folder location after so those old files know where to go. Hope this helps you out, good luck.

-Spencer

Thanks for the reply,  

Copying the entire dir will not work in my case,  to many files in different locations.

The pack and go is mostly working.  I will still need to remake all my drawings but it looks like it is at least possible to save my old designs.