Options for Reducing the Amount of Typing Required (CAXA)

Malcolm Crowe

Regarding CAXA DRAFT, if you want to reduce the amount of typing required within your 2D Drawings the attached video demonstrates the following:

1. Use "Attributes" within "Blocks" (including Drawing Frames and Title Blocks) that have selectable options.

2. Create frequently used text items as "CAXA Symbols" (special type of Block) within the "Parts Library", that you can drag-n-drop into your drawing.

3. Use "Set Matching Rule" to match the "Attributes" within your Title Block and BOMs to the Properties in the 3D Scene, so that they automatically populate. This requires that the Properties exist in the 3D Scene in the first place. See separate post regarding "Using Custom Properties List .......".

Other users should feel free to add their own tips here also.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Regarding CAXA DRAFT, if you want to reduce the amount of typing required within your 2D Drawings the attached video demonstrates the following:

1. Use "Attributes" within "Blocks" (including Drawing Frames and Title Blocks) that have selectable options.

2. Create frequently used text items as "CAXA Symbols" (special type of Block) within the "Parts Library", that you can drag-n-drop into your drawing.

3. Use "Set Matching Rule" to match the "Attributes" within your Title Block and BOMs to the Properties in the 3D Scene, so that they automatically populate. This requires that the Properties exist in the 3D Scene in the first place. See separate post regarding "Using Custom Properties List .......".

Other users should feel free to add their own tips here also.

Malcolm

Hi , @Malcolm Crowe 

It's great to find your video about the match rule for title block and I have a question about the Match Name , is it possible to set file name as a match name ? I would like to show the file name to place in the field of title block , once I change the file name , title block changed as well , thanks .

M.C. Lee

Hi M.C. Lee,

As far as I'm aware, the short answer to your question is no. You need to manually enter (or copy and paste) the file name to an Attribute within the Title Block or Drawing Frame.

However, what you can do instead is instruct CAXA to construct the file name based on Attributes within the Title Block. That is, working in the opposite way to what you're asking. This is done within the "Systems" tab of "Options". Attached is an image showing where the look, and attached is a demonstration video as well.

Between Angle Brackets <> write the name of the Title Block Attribute that you would like to be displayed in the file. For example, all of our file names are constructed using the following:

<DrawingNumber>-Rev<Revision> <DrawingTitle>

In the above text string the Attribute Names from the Title Block are "DrawingNumber", "Revision" and "DrawingTitle".

Malcolm

CAXA - File Name Created from Title Block Attributes.PNG

On 9/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Hi M.C. Lee,

As far as I'm aware, the short answer to your question is no. You need to manually enter (or copy and paste) the file name to an Attribute within the Title Block or Drawing Frame.

However, what you can do instead is instruct CAXA to construct the file name based on Attributes within the Title Block. That is, working in the opposite way to what you're asking. This is done within the "Systems" tab of "Options". Attached is an image showing where the look, and attached is a demonstration video as well.

Between Angle Brackets <> write the name of the Title Block Attribute that you would like to be displayed in the file. For example, all of our file names are constructed using the following:

<DrawingNumber>-Rev<Revision> <DrawingTitle>

In the above text string the Attribute Names from the Title Block are "DrawingNumber", "Revision" and "DrawingTitle".

Malcolm

CAXA - File Name Created from Title Block Attributes.PNG

Hi, Malcolm 

Yes , this is the great way to make the drawing no. same as file name , and I can add revised no. on file name , many thanks for your help .

M.C. Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , @Malcolm Crowe

Please refer my video , I have a problem with CAXA file name ,  I tried the method you gave , and it's successful , the file name has been changed , but when I import the standard view , the file name became the 3D file name , is it possible to keep the file name with Default File Name ?  Thank you

Hi M.C. Lee,

You're not doing anything wrong. Generated Views of the 3D Scene override the default naming behavior mentioned above, by replacing it with the "Part Name (User Name)" at the top of the Scene Browser in the 3D Scene.

Personally speaking I'd prefer it if CAXA didn't override the settings in Options; but it isn't a major issue for us, so I haven't previously raised it as an issue.

Malcolm

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Options for Reducing the Amount of Typing Required (CAXA)
  • 1 year later...