Failing to save on network drive

Hi all,

all of a sudden I'm no longer able to save files on a network drive (our local server). This has been working all the time, and now stopped to work. Things that have changed since I've successfully saved the last time:

• I've always been running a licensed version of Inovate 2020, and yesterday - for the first time - I've started Ironcad 2020 as a 30-day demo to test the drafting module.
  • Windows 10 Version 21H1 update finished yesterday

The error message I always get is attached, it says "failed to save the document […] Cause: Wrong parameter". As a result there's a file with the choosen name saved in that location, but it's only 2kb of size, without the actual content.

1924449747_Screenshot2021-07-30114836.png.44d93f0bad4746e1ccf6d5f13920ba2d.png

This happens with both my licensed Inovate version and the Ironcad demo, and with any file, even if I just create a new file with a single part in it.

What can this "Wrong parameter" be? How do I restore the ability to save on that network drive? I can open and read files from that drive without problems. Just saving doesn't work.

Bernd

Edited by Bernd Meißner
more info

Please check %temp%\ic_dbg folder in the computer that reports saving issues and see if it has any log files with name like Commit_XXXXXXXXXXXXX.log?   The log files record error information if saving to network drive has problems.   Send us all the files if any.

34 minutes ago, Yli said:

Is it true that there is no problem to save to local driver and other network driver, only this specific network driver has problems?

What is the name and model number of the network driver?

I'm not sure what you mean by "network driver". I'm trying to save files to two different computers on the network, it works on one, but not on the other. However, other applications on the same computer can save to either of them.

9 minutes ago, Cary OConnor said:

Can you save to the full path of the network drive versus a mapped drive? 

No, same result. Any attempt results in a 2kB file with the correct name at this place, but no content.

Please download and install the Microsoft Debugger:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=864422

(install just the Debugging Tools for Windows from the SDK installer)

1.            Start the WinDebugger (Start, Programs, Windows Kits, Debugging Tools for Windows (X64), WinDbg (x64)
2.            In WinDbg,  go to File, "Open Executable"
3.            Browse to ironcad.exe (typically in C:\Program Files\IronCAD\IRONCAD\20xx\bin)
4.            Click No to the question "Save information for workspace"? (if it comes up)
5.            Click View, Call Stack
6.            Press F5 to go (you may have to press F5 several times to get IronCAD starting, the bottom of the WinDebugger Command window should say "Debuggee is running" when it is actually going)
7.            Let IronCAD attempt to run as usual and try saving to the network drive.

Then when the crash occurs save and send the window text in WinDbg:
1.            Select the Command window
2.            Go to the Edit menu, "Write Windows Text to File..."
3.            Select the Calls window.
4.            Go to the Edit menu, "Write Windows Text to File..."

Then send those text files.  These files can help us determine why IronCAD is failing.

I just found the cause and the (or a) solution. The problem apparently was caused by Windows Defender in its current version, somehow limiting or blocking access to (temporary?) files. I was able to restore the ability to save on the network drive by adding the INOVATE.exe (and IRONCAD.exe) process as an exclusion to Defender. The exclusion has to be done individually for each application and cannot just be done by adding the "bin" folder of the Ironcad application folder.

It's weird that my Windows Defender causes this problem (I've also had a similar one with a different, totally unrelated application), while others also running a current Windows 10 seem unaffected by this, though…

Bernd

• Like 1