Large Assembly Management and Drawings

mmccall

One thing that you may want to try when doing a large assembly that needs drawings etc. is instead of separating pieces into separate part files, make different configurations showing the individual parts.

Then when you create the top assembly print, you simply add sheets and use the different configurations to start your views.

Something I have been working on and it seems to work well... since I am reducing the number of externally linked files, I am not running into alot of errors.... at a certain point with all the externally linked files, things start to fall apart quickly.

Just a thought that you might try.

Of course, there are holes in this practice everywhere if things do start to go bad !... the ultimate being, to loose your main file all together..then you have nothing. Well... unless you are in the practice of exporting and unlinking again, the same is true with having them all linked (unless I am doing something wrong... delete one part and the file goes with it)... plus the extra effort of having to update each individual file when they are unlinked...

Yeah.. surely it makes the file size larger (at least the size of the assembly... the drawings are typically smaller), more dangerous to have all eggs in one basket, ... etc.

For the sake of constructive input, feel free to say some positives and negatives of this practice.... there may be others out there that need to make 84 prints!

Please, share some methods that you use to handle large files with sub assemblies, that all pieces need individual prints etc. Set the stage.

One thing to note is that you wont be able to do another BOM on any of the other sheets in that file... I guess thats Ok sometimes.. I suppose you can simpy create another BOM...

Tom... I guess you can simply insert or link to an excel sheet?..

So if you have another assembly within an assembly, you can make the first sheet break out the BOM at the part level... any additional bubbles you makeon any of the following sheets will carry the same numbers as the first sheet BOM..

Confusing?

quote: .... at a certain point with all the externally linked files, things start to fall apart quickly.id=quote>
id=quote>

Amen to that.... I think I am going prematurely bald trying to work drawings with hundreds of linked files...not much longer and I am going to be doing a little test of the .dwg export tool if you know what I mean...

MikeT

OH yeah...

If you have shetmetal parts ... be sure to go into the part properties for the flatt pattern and un-check "include shape in BOM"...

This minor detail has caused me much grief in wondering where all the additional part counts were coming from.

• 7 months later...
Guest gfeidner
One thing that you may want to try when doing a large assembly that needs drawings etc. is instead of separating pieces into separate part files, make different configurations showing the individual parts.

Then when you create the top assembly print, you simply add sheets and use the different configurations to start your views.

Something I have been working on and it seems to work well... since I am reducing the number of externally linked files, I am not running into alot of errors.... at a certain point with all the externally linked files, things start to fall apart quickly.

Just a thought that you might try.

Of course, there are holes in this practice everywhere if things do start to go bad !... the ultimate being, to loose your main file all together..then you have nothing.  Well... unless you are in the practice of exporting and unlinking again, the same is true with having them all linked (unless I am doing something wrong... delete one part and the file goes with it)... plus the extra effort of having to update each individual file when they are unlinked...

Yeah.. surely it makes the file size larger (at least the size of the assembly... the drawings are typically smaller), more dangerous to have all eggs in one basket, ... etc.

For the sake of constructive input, feel free to say some positives and negatives of this practice.... there may be others out there that need to make 84 prints!

Please, share some methods that you use to handle large files with sub assemblies, that all pieces need individual prints etc.  Set the stage.

1394[/snapback]

We are dealing with files of 40,000 parts or more. I use confiugrations all day long. If you plan ahead some they work great. I do however tend to use the wrong settings when making new configs. Is there a way to change the config setting once you set it up??? Oh well...since each one of these 40,000+parts gets and indivual 2d drawing organization is a huge plus!!!

I do have a problem with the new viewer though. Because of the file sizes I am unable to use the viewer yet.